change location
ma3333's Profile Photo

Itinerary for southwest Iceland

by ma3333 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Dear friend ,

Pls. see my Itinerary for southwest Iceland:

Since our trip is clockwise we shall start at Vic:

Day 1

1. Dyrholaey 2. Skógafoss 3. Seljalandsfoss 4. Driving to Torsmork park 5. Night over in Hvolsvöllur area

Day 2

1. Drive to Hekla 2. Landmannalaugar 3. Night over in Flúðir area

Day 3

1. Gullfoss 2. Geysir, 3. Þingvellir

Driving to Reykjavik

I would Appreciate if you could share your thoughts on my plan.

1. Any recommended places to add

2. Can I squeeze this plan into two days

Thank you in advance, Meir  

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary for southwest Iceland

by jmpncsu Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Sounds like a great three days. One thing I would add for day 1. Go to Reynisfjara, which is between Vik and Dyrholaey. It is a beautiful black sand beach with basalt cliffs and volcanic rock formations jutting out of the water. There are also a lot of puffins who live on the cliffs.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It is doable if you are visiting in summer. It is true, Reynisfjara and Hálsanefshellir cave is a must "Hálsanefshellir cave - lovely columnar basalt." - Iceland Things to Do Tip by Regina1965 while visiting this area. Have a look at my Iceland pages and subpage on Iceland for photos and tips. All the best, Regína

2 members found this helpful

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    It is doable if you are visiting in summer time. It is true, Hálsanefshellir cave by Reynisfjara is not to be missed while in this area of Vík. "Hálsanefshellir cave - lovely columnar basalt." - Iceland Things to Do Tip by Regina1965

Have a look at my Iceland pages and subpages on Iceland for more tips and photos on my country.

All the best, Regína

1 member found this helpful

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

We found Dyrholaey to be a wonderful place to observe puffins; well woth the stop, Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls are definintely worth stopping at; make sure you take some waterproof clothing to Seljalandsfoss, as you will be able to walk behind the waterfall.

Hekla we only saw from a distance and Landmannalaugar is an area that is good if you are planning some hiking, otherwise I might be tempted to skip it.

When visiting Gullfoss, Geysir (actually Strokkur is the geyer that is quite active), and Þingvellir, you should also plan a short detour to the Kerio crater that is also in the area. They are all very close to Reykjavik.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Iceland Travel Answer Locations