Iceland Travel Answers

change location
ma3333's Profile Photo

Driving to Þórsmörk in July

by ma3333 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

From reading through some pages I realized that even though I'm going to rent a 4X4, it would be best practice not to drive by myself due to the rivers conditions. Could you recommend other alternatives? Using the bus scheduled to pass twice a day doesn’t seems like a good option. Thank you in advance, Meir.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Driving to Þórsmörk in July

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM

If you are planning to drive any of the "F" roads in the interior, chances are you will have to do some river crossings. If you don't want to do these, stick to the Ring Road and stay away from the interior areas.

The large national maps of the country don't show how many river crossings there are. I think we did around 25 in on day on our way to Landmannalauger. The first time you do one is the most intimidating...

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Driving to Þórsmörk in July

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I am remembering the roads to Thorsmork, being F roads. (F249 I think...), so yes a 4x4 is essential, - but it is doable, or the alternative which is the bus/coach.

Read GrumpyDiver's pages as he has done all of those things. If you need further information on Iceland just come back and ask. Enjoy my country........d:o)

Any F-road in Iceland, a 4x4 is mandatory.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Iceland Travel Answer Locations