Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Easter Weekend

by kevans20 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I will be in Iceland Thursday-Sunday during the week of Easter and we are a little worried that a lot of restaurants, bars and/or national parks will be closed for the holiday. Does anyone know how widely it is celebrated and if it has a major effect on business hours? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Easter Weekend

by ukinsurance Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I think you should visit this link to know more about easter in iceland,goscandinavia.about.com/od/a...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Easter Weekend

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Well, yes it is celebrated, but more in a Lutheran way, which is pretty flexible. True most businesses are closed on Thursday and Friday, but the businesses that would be of interest to you are mostly open. Easter Sunday is a bit like Christmas Day, pretty quiet.

You should still be able to do most touristy things most of the time.

Although I am Icelandic, my VT pages on Iceland are quite lacking so far, but I direct you to the very best information on the web about my country, which is right here on Virtual Tourist. My friend Regina1965 lives in my home town of Reykjavik, and she has more good info on Iceland than any other source on the web. Check it out:

"Welcome to my travel pages :D" - Regina1965's Profile

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

Re: Easter Weekend

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 4:36 AM

We got caught with this some years back. We were staying in a small hotel without a restaurant and On Good Friday and Easter Sunday all the restaurants in Reykjavik were closed apart from the Hard Rock Cafe and one other. There was a 15% Easter tax added to the cost of the meals. As the HRC was some distance from where we were staying we ate at the other one on Good Friday. It was many year before we had a meal that cost us a much again. Almost our entire food budget for the trip went in one (excellent) meal. We went hungry on Easter Sunday :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Iceland Travel Answer Locations