Hveragerði Travel Answers

change location
adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Restaurants?

by adelinemmc Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Hello!

We are planning to saty one night in this town. In a tip from 2010 a VTer warns that there is no restaurant in town. Is it still the case?

Many thanks
A

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants?

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

There is a nkice restaurant in the Hotel Ork in Hveragerdi. It is not cheap though. Here is the link.

http://www.hotelork.is/

However, the nearby town of Selfoss has several restaurants. Selfoss is only about 8 miles from Hveragerdi.

Have fun in my country........d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

There is another restaurant in Hveragerdi called Kjot & Kunst, with both buffet and menu.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R...

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

by adelinemmc Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Thank you both!

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I know I am a bit schizo sometimes, but how did you know that......?.....d:o)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hehe, you are funny, OdinnThor :D Yes, there are several restaurants in Hveragerði, I wonder why this VT member in question didn´t find any of them. There is also Hoflandsetrið. And if you want to drive a bit further south to the sea-shore there is a lovely restaurant called Hafið bláa. Here is my tip on that restaurant Hafið bláa - The Blue Ocean.: "An excellent lobster soup by the ocean." - South Iceland Restaurant Tip by Regina1965 And then there is Selfoss with a lot of restaurants as OdinnThor mentioned.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

by adelinemmc Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Hahaha! Sadly I cannot detect schizophrenia but I can make rash replies when being on the forum late at night!

Regards
    A

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

by MikeBird Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I stayed in the Hotel Ork for 2 nights in June 2011. I always like to try to get away from hotel food and we quickly found a pizzeria - can't remember its name but it was in the small shopping precinct next to the tourist office. The pizzas were OK and my vegetarian son really enjoyed his meal. I think the restaurant was licensed to see alcohol.

I'd hoped to try the other 'buffet' style restaurant that cooked using the natural geothermal energy of which there is plenty in the town. Unfortunately we were quite late getting there - sorry cant remember the time exactly but it might have been 9pm - and they had just stopped serving food and and wouldn't prepare anything fresh for David; they did have some meaty dishes I could have had but in the end we went back to the pizzeria.

This restaurant is on the same side of the road as the Hotel but just 200-400 metres further up into the town away from the main road.

I hope you manage to eat there because I thought the food looked really wholesome and tasty. Besides it's not every day you get to eat food cooked geothermally!

Enjoy Hveragerði - the volcanic hills behind the town are really worth exploring.

Mike

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM

No worries mate.......d:o)

I was just "avin a laff" as they say in Blighty. As expected, my friend Regina replied to your post as well. Do check her pages.

Have fun in our country........d:o)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines