Hue Travel Answers

change location

Guided Marine tour

by JuleSAPD Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 11:05 AM

What are the chances of finding a knowledgeable lady that would be willing to guide me around Hue with an emphasis on The Marine Corps fight that took place during the Tet offensive? English speaking please.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • daawgon's Profile Photo

Re: Guided Marine tour

by daawgon Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Well, you might find an old man who remembers that particular event, but even then, most Vietnamese guides are under 30 years old.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mikeinvietnam's Profile Photo

Re: Guided Marine tour

by mikeinvietnam Online Now Apr 6, 2011 at 5:09 AM

All licensed tour guides are indoctrinated into the VN government's propaganda machine and must toe the party line. As I was biking through Hue in 2000 the guides made certain points about how the Americans damaged the Citadel, but left out the fact that communist forces were embedded there and directing artillery barrages from inside the Citadel. I doubt if you will find any guides even faintly aware of the truth as both sides see it. You can possibly find a female guide at one of the local agencies, but you will surely get the propagandized version of the Tet offensive. Might be best to google as much information from all possible sources and compare that to whatever the guide discloses. I've even found maps and accounts of a few battles I was involved in. Maybe it's even possible to find a retired Marine or Army Vet living in Hue now as an expat who went through the Tet Offensive. I was in the Central Highlands at the time and wasn't involved in the Hue action.

• Re: Guided Marine tour

by meenjoyer2227 Online Now Feb 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I'm living in Hue city. Hue people dont know much about military or political aspects. Communists force them learn wrong things about many things, especially history. Besides, there is little who are expertise in this one. you can find a tour guide, maybe some can have experience about this one before.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hue