Huaraz Travel Answers

change location

Acclimatization period before Santa Cruz Trek

by 99309816 Online Now Jan 1, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Has anyone ever done the Santa Cruz trek (or any other trek) without the 2-3 day acclimatization period. My plan is to fly in from Lima at 1:40 PM and start a trek the next morning, is this a bad idea? thnaks in advance

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • puppis's Profile Photo

RE: Acclimatization period before Santa Cruz Trek

by puppis Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 6:42 AM

I am not sure which is the trek. But as always, adaptation is to the altitude and also to the activity itself.Dont think you need to care about.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JenMah's Profile Photo

by JenMah Online Now Jan 6, 2007 at 8:08 PM

As a witness to altitude sickness I would highly HIGHLY recommend at least a day to acclimate. Not only are you dealing with altitude but your activity level will be high. The combo may incapacitate you for a day. Vomiting, headache, lethargic. I was fine, my boyfriend was not. We had diomox with us to help, but the side effects were as bad as the altitude sickness.

Be safe.

• lbernedo's Profile Photo

by lbernedo Online Now Jan 12, 2007 at 11:58 PM

It's a bad idea, don't do it. Enough people die every year in the White Range so let's say that you don't want to become a number in that list?
    I've hiked sometimes just the morning I arrived to Huaraz but I'm Peruvian and I aleady knew the route I was taking. Santa Cruz is a very nice route so try to enjoy it. Give yourself at least 1 whole day before hiking to get used to the altitude and maybe just try walking in Huaraz as you get there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines