Huaraz Travel Answers

change location
bockee's Profile Photo

also-- best cooks for the trail?

by bockee Online Now Dec 23, 2005 at 9:55 AM

And this may sound ridiculous, but are some cooks better than others? We would like to have excellent food on the trail!

Erica

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: also-- best cooks for the trail?

by IMG Online Now Dec 27, 2005 at 6:57 PM

Hi there, this is Ivan, from Lima.
    I have done some treks in Cuzco and Huaraz...and, despite you are almost dead after walking all day long in those conditions (almost without oxigen!!), I think that the best meal is the one that you prepare yourself...and Im an awful "chef". Maybe is the satisfaction, and the fact that is so cool to cook your own meal at very high altitude, inside a tent. I love that. So I would recommend you that if you are gonna make a short trek (just 2 or 3 days), make your own food. Otherwise, if you are choosing longer treks, you really need a cook. And dont look for the best cook. They are all good....besides the fact that you are gonna be so tired and hungry, that you will even find the rocks tasty!
    Just my point of view!
    Im in Lima..so if you pass through here and wanna talk about treks or need any advice, just tell me..;
    good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: also-- best cooks for the trail?

by david_bxl Online Now Jan 3, 2006 at 8:28 AM

That's true, even rocks will be tasty. Don't forget to carry a couple of oranges in your backpack, give them to your porter on the third day ... they will appreciate that small detail more than any tip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines