Huaraz Travel Answers

change location
bockee's Profile Photo

Where to begin the Huayhuash circuit-- looking for hikers to share in expenses for self-organized tr

by bockee Online Now Dec 23, 2005 at 9:45 AM

My husband and I would like to hike the Huayhuash Circuit. We have about 15-16 days in total and are considering using a logistics group to help us organize a trip, as opposed to a tour group-- in an effort to keep the costs down.

We are thinking about going Lima to either Huaraz or Chiquian and then starting at Matacancha via Huallanca and ending in Chiquian. My resesarch indicates it will be between 8-10 days on the trail.

Any advice? We are considering August or September of 2006.

Is there any way to make part of the trek via LLama or horse?

We are both 30 and in reasonable shape (but would train for this hike).

Erica

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Yoanis's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Where to begin the Huayhuash circuit-- looking for hikers to share in expenses for self-orga

by Yoanis Online Now Dec 26, 2005 at 4:05 PM

Hi Erica
    well it's nice to know you want to hike Huayhuash Circuit, this is one of the most longer hiking route in Peru, you must stay in Peru 16 days at least, that hike usually longs 14 days, but some people do that in 12 days.
    the route begins and ends in Chiquian, the best season to do this hiking is from May to middle of September, after that, the rain season will begin, and finally you must be in shape, I recommend you aerobics exercise like running, jogging or spinning and also anaerobic excersice, focus specially in legs and calves.
    Well I hope I have helped you with this information, I'll try to get more information about it. See you. Jazmin

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pushaq's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Where to begin the Huayhuash circuit-- looking for hikers to share in expenses for self-orga

by pushaq Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 3:58 PM

Hello, Erica. Huayhuash circuit takes normally 10 days, i would recommend you to come to Huaraz, because is easiest to find transport to Chiquian or Huallanca, and now you can start in Llámac, Pocpa or Matacancha from Chiquian (the public transport just go to pocpa) there is a rough road from chiquian to Huallanca that passes for these places, you can get a map in http://www.huayhuash.com/map.html.
    To transport the equipment in the circuit normally is used the donkeys or horses as pack animal, llama is a little bit difficult because there aren't llamas near to the start point of the circuit, now if you prefer also you can get ab¿n emergency horse to ride you when you feel tired. The circuit has 7 passes that overcome 4500 m.a.sl., yes you need to be in hape, I would recommend you, first to do an one day aclimatization trip in Huaraz or other place.
    Regarding the costs depends on what services you like to take many people take donkeys and an Arriero (donkey driver), someties Cook and Guide, now if you like to cost down, would be good just with Arriero and Cook, you find them in Llámac village.
    Other that yopu need to keep in mind is the entrance to the Reserved Zone Huayhuash it's price is around S/. 63.00 (around US$ 19.00)
    Christian

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines