Huaraz Travel Answers

change location
dynnyrne's Profile Photo

Travel from Lima to Huaraz

by dynnyrne Online Now Aug 28, 2005 at 11:24 PM

Hi,
My husband and I are going on a tour in Peru next year that ends in Lima at the end of April. We wanted to catch the bus up to Huaraz and stay for a bit. Anyone have any tips? How long would be a good time? Is a week too long, too short? I like walks, but not climbs (he likes climbing). Are there local operators he could do day climbs with? Nice walks around there?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Travel from Lima to Huaraz

by david_bxl Online Now Aug 29, 2005 at 1:33 AM

Afer Cusco's Inca Trail, Huaraz is the best place for hikings. If you do low-altitude hiking along the valley of Huaraz, 7-10 days would be more than enough. However, if you have the time to go for semi-professional hiking (to hike on the ice of some "flat" peaks- it's not climbing), then 15-20 days would be more reasonable. I remember that some itineraries required 2-3 days of acclimatisation before starting any hiking.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Rosita_lia's Profile Photo

RE: Travel from Lima to Huaraz

by Rosita_lia Online Now Aug 30, 2005 at 6:40 PM

I can wait for you at Lima Airport, give you accomodation, see my infor at: merchants.virtualtourist.com...

Then early morning take you to the bus station to get bus to Huaraz (20 minutes away of my home)

A week is pretty good to visiting Huaraz, Callejon de Huaylas and Callejon Conchucos, If you want to ascent the snowy mountains you need to aclimate to the high altitude, people who come from Europe to ski at time have high altitude diseases, because confuses this is snow is for high altitude not for latitude, so Pastoruri, Huascaran and Alpamayo snowies in Callejon de Huaylas are tropical snowies.

Waiting for you

Rosita

• Lanyue's Profile Photo

RE: Travel from Lima to Huaraz

by Lanyue Online Now Sep 4, 2005 at 1:42 PM

A week is no way too long....too short to really do much, especially to get properly acclimatized. we trekked in the huayhuash which is extremely beautiful, and stayed at the Cayesh Bunkhouse which is run by a lovely Peruvian/British couple and is very convenient and comfortable. We wanted to do more trekking, but unfortunately it looks like rainy season has already started.
    there are tons & tons of climbing & trekking operators in town, you don`t need to book anything in advance.
    have fun!
    bex

• dynnyrne's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Travel from Lima to Huaraz

by dynnyrne Online Now Sep 4, 2005 at 9:30 PM

Thanks for all your replys! We've booked our trip and have 12 nights to chare between Lima & Huaraz. Very excited! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines