Huaraz Travel Answers

change location

Anyone interested in hiking a 6000mer in July?

by PliniotheCat Online Now May 28, 2003 at 9:48 AM

Hi, I'm going to hike a mountain over 6,000m in July 2003 from Huaraz or Caraz. I'll be hiring a guide but I'd appreciate some company (also to lower the costs for each person). It'll be a 3 or 4 day expedition. There are several mountains to choose from but I've yet to find out which is the best option. Please get in touch if you're interested!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Anyone interested in hiking a 6000mer in July?

by PliniotheCat Online Now May 28, 2003 at 9:54 AM

PS me again! I forgot to say, if anyone has got advice on accessible 6000mers at the easier end of the scale, I'd appreciate it. I've climbed and hiked in Scotland and Spain lots but I've no experience of snow and ice climbing. Thanks very much! Cat

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mtncorg's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Anyone interested in hiking a 6000mer

by mtncorg Online Now May 28, 2003 at 10:08 AM

On your second post, I have to admit only having been to the paltry height of 4400m but plenty of experience with the snow and ice. You have seen the comments on slow acclimatization on Richiedisc's notes. I think he got to 4800m? There seem to be a few easy peaks in the area, though if it is easy 6000 meter peaks you are after and don't have a lot of experience there is Huayna Potosi just outside of La Paz. It is a three-four dya affair with plenty of guides you can pick from. The route looks very straightforward, but still will give you a nice introduction to ice and snow without putting you too much on the edge. Looks like a nice view from up there too. If you like it enough, you can move on to Ilimani. You don't want to think too much at those altitudes :-) Have fun!

• VA_Dave's Profile Photo

Re: Anyone interested in hiking a 6000mer in July?

by VA_Dave Online Now May 28, 2003 at 1:37 PM

Sounds interesting. Keep me informed of your plans. I have climbed the 3 volcanos near Mexico City (between 5000m and 6000m) and lots of 14kft peaks (45000m). I find that a couple of asprin/ibuprofin every 4 hours does wonders if you have not had time to acclimatize properly.

by jjonty Online Now May 30, 2003 at 8:54 AM

I'd be interested in doing the trek, but am quite limited for time. When would you be going?

by JAPF Online Now Jul 1, 2003 at 12:40 AM

I am very interested in doing a 6000m trek. I have done Annapurna and various othe treks but no ice experience. I'll be in Huaraz about the 22nd -25 th July?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines