Huaraz Travel Answers

change location

Peru Itinerary

by gochcr Online Now Mar 18, 2003 at 5:59 AM

We will be visiting Peru starting April 18 (Good Friday). We have until the following Saturday evening (depart Lima) to see this large and interesting country. Both travelers are bilingual and are interested in history, culture, art, life in the pueblos, food, music, etc. Not so interested in adventure type touring like climbing or rafting. Any suggestions of a third or fourth city I could add to our itinerary? We plan on starting in Lima and intend to do Cuzco and Macchu Pichu. Is it possible to see Iquitos/Amazon jungle area in a couple of days? How about cities to the north of Lima? Any suggestions? thanks - craig

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cvscott's Profile Photo

Re: Peru Itinerary

by cvscott Online Now Mar 18, 2003 at 10:06 AM

We are heading to Peru from May 23-June 1. We are flying into Lima. We then plan to take short flights between Lima and Arequipa, Arequipa and Juliaca, into Puno then the day train train to Cusco and short flight from Cusco to Lima. I wish we had longer, but we are accustomed to rushed travel due to work schedules. The internal flights are pretty cheap www.lanperu.com. The trains are also inexpensive, but time consuming. Have fun! Victoria

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • El_Sueco's Profile Photo

Re: Peru Itinerary

by El_Sueco Online Now Mar 18, 2003 at 4:08 PM

As I understand it you have 9 days. My recommendation is concentrate on two cities, for instance Lima and Cuzco (if it is your first visit). Itenary: Friday arriving Lima Sa Lima Su Lima Mo Flight to Cuzco T Stay calm, just easy walking in city W: one day to the Sacred valley of Urubamba T: one day to Machu Picchu F: Sa: Su leaving Cuzco, leaving Perú via Lima. Putting in the things like that you will have two days left, or perhaps stay one night at M.P. My question is, why rush? Stay cool in Cuzco, there are much to see. Maybe it is technically possible to reach Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado or take the train back and forth to Puno. But I think you will loose the "vacation" then. Leave something to next time. Next time will come! Have you once come to Perú, you will go there again! North from Lima is (as you put that in the headline) Huaraz in Dep. Ancash. Not so far from Lima, but it will take time to get there. Huaraz is beautiful. The two lakes Llanganucco uphill from Yungay near Huascaran is also a nice place to go. Going along the coust further northbound from Lima is also impressiv, many small cities, valleys and desert, but I would not do that with such short time available. Good luck. H

• Re: Peru Itinerary

by gochcr Online Now Mar 20, 2003 at 1:36 PM

thanks for all the great suggestions! any opinions on whether in better to stay overnite at Machu Pichu or try to do it in one day from Cuzco? Hotel recommendations in Machu Pichu area? CRAIG

• El_Sueco's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Peru Itinerary

by El_Sueco Online Now Mar 20, 2003 at 4:04 PM

Recommended is: Gringo Bill, Coya Raymi 104, Tel/Fax 211046, gringobills@yahoo.com See also my tip: www.virtualtourist.com/m/454cc/187bb8/1/#T Staying in Municipalidad Machupicchu (most refered to as Aguas Calientes) give you more time to spend at the archeological site of Machu Picchu, perhaps a second visit, which you have to pay of course. Entry something around 25 USD if I recall. Some people recommend a nightly visit, which I have not done, but if may be nice. The village is not much to see, but if you want you can make good shopping in the streets near railway station. Good assortment. The thermal baths I have no experience on, one of my friends did like it, but I have also heard the opposite. It is easy to find, just up the main road. Best regards Håkan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines