Huangshan

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 9 days - Lijiang, Dali and Shangrila

Lijiang Apr 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I am planning a 9 days trip to China where I will be flying into Lijiang and hoping to cover Lijiang, Dali and Shangrila. I would like to do some trekking and explore around to understand the local way of life.

Some help in my planning is greatly appreciated:
      1. How many days should I spend in each of the places?
      2. How do I go from one place to another? Do I have to book in advance or will i be able to just do it via the guesthouse?
      3. How long is the travel from place to place? I am particularly concerned about the treks where I might require a stayover? Which are the ones I should look out for so I can factor that in my planning.

THANK YOU very much!

more
    • transport and driver

Nanchong Apr 1, 2014 at 6:21 AM

i need to travel from Nanchong to Ciangxi county about 100 km. I wish to hire transport and driver or is it cheap by taxi?

more
    • HossamM's Profile Photo

How can I reach Zigong from Suzhou?

Zigong Mar 21, 2014 at 7:25 AM

I am travelling to Suzhou next week. I will be staying in Shilla Hotel Jinji Lake. And I want to visit Zigong Dinosaur museum during Sunday. How can I reach Zigong Dinosaur Museum from Suzhou? I couldn't find a direct train from Suzhou to Zigong. How can I reach Zigong through train or internal flight? I know the road is very long between Suzhou & Zigong, that's why I excluded automobile or bus transportation.

more
    • Nanning transport

Nanning Mar 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM

What's the coach fare from Nanning to Bama longevity village and travelling time as well as what frequency ? Thanks on advance for a response.

more
    • Tibet permit rule in 2014

Tibet Yesterday

Is it true we Taiwan people can not travel with Chinese or western man? I read the notice on the site travelwestchina.com/news/531... Anybody here can clarify? I plan to join in my American friends' group.

more
    • Hiking from jinshanlin to Simitai without a guide?

China Yesterday

Hello,

I'm visiting Beijing this summer, and I really want to hike on the great wall from Jinshanlin to Simitai.Unfortunately, the organized trips are quite expensive.
      So my question to you is whether it is possible to hike this part of the great wall on your own. Or are there chances I might get lost or might not be able to fix transport?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Pieter

more
    • Bus from Nanning to Suzhou

Suzhou Yesterday

Is there any bus from Nanning to Suzhou?

more
    • What other places close to Zhangjiajie can we visit

Zhangjiajie Apr 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM

What other places close to Zhangjiajie can we visit? We are going to What other places close to Zhangjiajie can we visit and were trying to find other places around there that might have Buddhist Caves or temples that are worth seeing.

thanks

more
    • Pet's Accessories

Guangzhou Apr 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Where can I shop for retail pet's accessories in Guangzhou?

more
    • Thai food in Hangzhou

Hangzhou Apr 6, 2014 at 3:08 AM

What is the best Thai restaurant in Hangzhou?

more
    • Zhuhai - Qing Yuan

Qingyuan Apr 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

From which bus station in Zhuhai do I get a bus to Qing Yuan?

more
    • Life in Ningbo for an expat

Ningbo Mar 30, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Hello,
      I have taught in China and Thailand but never Ningbo. How does it rate as far as a good place to live and teach for one from the USA that enjoys life and friends. How is the food and what about the level of pollution? What is the best and worst of Ningbo?
      Thanks, Wade

more
    • Billshng's Profile Photo

getting around Taishan

Taishan Mar 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Taishan is rather big but my grandparent village is Sai Chat, Nam Wah cheun (village), and it does not appear anywhere in the map. Any body knows where it is situated in Taishan (Hoisan)??

more
    • Intercon Resort Paradise Jiuzhaigou Hotel

Jiuzhaigou Mar 25, 2014 at 5:59 AM

Is this hotel within short walking distance to the National Park?

more
    • CandS's Profile Photo

Great Wall of China Badaling Section

China Apr 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Hi all! I'm going to China and part of the tour takes me to the Badaling section of the Great Wall. I only have 2 hours there :( and wondering what my best options are for getting some good photos and seeing the best part of the wall (from there obviously)...should I go north or south or ???? Am I best to take off and see how far I can get in almost an hour then wander back or ???? I'll arrive there at 5 pm - hoping it's not dark by then in mid May too. Any suggestions welcome. :)

more
    • marcus_gsh's Profile Photo

Airport, Accomodation, Itinerary

Shanghai Shi Apr 1, 2014 at 1:48 AM

First time visiting Shanghai with 2 pax, around 7D6N during end of May 2014. Wish the itinerary won't be that compact and change hotel so frequent, also not very interested to musuem and gallery. Can please advice me how to arrange this 7D6N itinerary?

Since I yet buy flight ticket, which Shanghai airport is more nearer and convenient for tourist? Pudong or HongQiao?

For accomodation, my budget is around 600yuan per night. clean, near subway and nice location. Any suggestion?

more
    • marcus_gsh's Profile Photo

advices needed for choosing travel agency

Tibet Apr 1, 2014 at 1:30 AM

we will travel to Tibet during September 2014 in a group. So far, we have 3 travel agencies had made their quotation to us. the price is almost the same. Therefore, we really need experts here to advice us, which has better reputation and services:

1. http://tibethighlandtours.com/
      2. http://www.tibettravel.com/
      3. http://www.tibetodysseytours.com/

Please advice us. Thanks!

more
    • Backpacking in China

China Mar 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM

My husband and I would like to travel to China backpacking. We are both British. I understand that we need an invitation. How can we obtain the invitation.
      Thank you
      Monika

more
    • 3 weeks in China, Beijing and countryside

China Mar 18, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Hi,
      Me and a friend plan to spend 2-3 weeks in China around late/mid november this year. We plan to land in Beijing and spend 4-6 days there and then head out and experience the countryside and other things worth seeing. We're also thinking about going to Hangzhou for a couple of days.

What we're wondering is where would you recommend going after Beijing if you want to experience as much of Chinese cultures as possible in our weeks? As we're thinking about going to Hangzhou sometime during our trip it would be beneficial if it's somewhere around Beijing or hangzhou. It might be worth mentioning that we're trying to avoid the cold as far as possible.

All advice appreciated!

more
    • good hotels in lijiang for two nights

Lijiang Apr 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM

can anyone recommend a hotel they have stayed in recently. clean and good size and not too expensive comfort range slightly below expensive class
      thank you

more
    • 3 weeks in Hong-Kong, Guangzhou and Guilin

China Mar 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Hello dear travellers!

Me and my friend are planing to go to the southern parts of China in mid November and stay there for three weeks. We want to spend approximately 1,5 weeks in the bigger cities such as Hong-Kong, Macau and Guangzhou and spend approximately 1,5 weeks on a trip in the countryside surrounding Guilin with the final destination of Guilin.

First of all we are wondering if this seems doable given our period of time.
      Secondly we would like to get feedback about these destinations and if there is anything special (sights, cities etc) in the vicinity that you'd recommend we see (or if there is any cities nearby that might be of more interest?)

Best regards
      The happy travellers Joactor

more
    • FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Buying fast G train ticket right before departure (Beijing South to Shanghai)?

Beijing Apr 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM

I will land in BJ early afternoon (from USA), but I do not want to pre-purchase a ticket (in case of miss it due to traffic etc.). Can I buy a ticket at the Beijing South train station for the immediate next departure train to Shanghai (I am an American)?

Or do I really have to pre-purchase online? Any suggestion on which website to buy (ctrip.com???). If I miss the train I have the ticket for, would it be too much trouble having to have the ticket (for the missed train) refund first, then but another one?

I am leaving tomorrow, any quick advice would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

more
    • SIM CARD in BEIJING

Beijing Shi Mar 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Where can i get Sim card with data in BEIJING?

more
    • fraud, varifacation this is legitament

China Apr 9, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Ling Chen

Customer Care

Virtual Tourist Travels

Tel: (0086) 157-6889-8352 is this part of your company im tring to buy a vissa for my girlfriend they want me send money western union

more
    • phingy's Profile Photo

Recommendations for safe night activities for female traveler

Shanghai Apr 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Hello,

i will be visiting Shanghai in May and was wondering if there are any good recommendations for night activities? Are the drinking/cocktail places safe?

Appreciate any suggestions or advice!

more
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

At the 'Fairy Walking Bridge' on Huangshan

by SandiM Online Now Nov 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Has anyone been to this bridge? I was there a few years back and after going through the tunnel and over the bridge and out the other side, you reach a plateau you can stand/sit on and have a break. If you look out over the way in THAT direction (can't recall which way it was, just new it was directly opposite from the bridge) you can see a rock formation in the shape of either a Canadian Inukshuk or a Chinese Gate. Does anyone have any info on what this is or who built it or when? It was there in 2009, my first trip, and I think it's still there, according to some shots I've seen on the web.

• The last cable car of the day up to huangshan

by pgrace91 Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

My friends and i will only be able to reach huangshan at around 9pm. We are planning to stay at huang shan for that night. Can i know what is the last cable car up to huang shan?

1 Answer Mar 4, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    • Trekking off the beaten path in Anhui

by ancientinfant Online Now Jun 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I would like to go trekking in southern Anhui in areas that are not in the park and are not on the tourist trail. Ideally the trek would start Thursday afternoon and end on Sunday morning (so I can get back to Shanghai for Monday), cover some beautiful scenery away from any major roads and we would stay in some local villages with the simplest food and accommodations. I would be on my own and am looking for one guide who can speak some English. Can anybody recommend a guide to contact? How much would such a guided hike cost? THANKS~! E

1 Answer Jul 7, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    • BonniB's Profile Photo

Huangshan CITS

by BonniB Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM

we are considering booking a tour with Huangshan CITS (travel agents in Tunxi)in April 2013 around the Huangshan region - has anyone traveled with them before - and able to comment on their experience
      thanks

• 5 STAR HOTEL UP HUANGSHAN MOUNTAIN

by TinaLeong Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Is there any 5 star hotel up Huangshan Mountain?
      How old is Beihai Hotel and when was it last renovated?

1 Answer May 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    • Going to Huangshan for 3 nights with 2 kids

by Larvotto Online Now Mar 5, 2012 at 6:01 AM

We are looking to go to Huangshan areas during April 3 to 6. Here are our questions:
      1. We are planning to stay in Tang Kou the first night (after flying in from Shanghai) then at the top the second night at Baiyun Hotel. Which cable car should we take and how long would it take to hike from the nearest cable car station?
      2. Where can we leave our luggage at the mountain base?
      3. Which route is easy enough for me and my wife to take care of our 2 kids (10 and 6yrs old)? Can they take on the West Sea Canyon? How far is the hike from Baiyun Hotel to Taiping cable car station?
      4. We are looking to stay at either Tunxi or Hong Cun for the 3rd night. Is there a direct bus from Tanghou to Hong Cun in the afternoon? How long would the bus ride be? We need to catch the bus to Hangzhou on 4 April. Is there a direct bus from Hongcun to Hangzhou?
      Sorry for too many questions. I have spent hours looking through the web and have not found all the answers that we need. Many thanks for all the help!

1 Answer Mar 7, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Rain on Huangshan?

by SandiM Online Now Sep 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM

My mother and I are set to climb (cablecar) Huangshan next week (Monday and Tuesday) and the forecast says there may be rainstorms. What can I expect up there (weatherwise, precautions, etc) and what extra should I bring?

• SandiM's Profile Photo

Walking times

by SandiM Online Now May 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Have you walked the newest path on Huangshan along the Xihai West Sea Canyon route? How long does it actually (realistically) take to walk from the PAIYUNLOU HOTEL via the Fairy Walking Bridge to the BAIYUN HOTEL? 5 hours? More if I'm taking photos along the way? Were there toilets along the way? I refer to the map on the CITS site showing the newest path (has a couple loops along the way) and it suggest maybe 5 hours but I wanted to get another person's time score on this one, since I am doubting that 5 hrs is accurate. Can anyone help? I did walk from the BAIYUN HOTEL to the Fairy Walking Bridge and back, but it took me 3.5 hours just to do that bit. Also, which direction is easier to walk in terms of elevation? Please and thanks!

• Huangshan - Taiping Telpher

by sungka1 Online Now Dec 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Hi. I will be staying at Beihai Hotel for 2 nites. Is it better to take the Yungu Cablecar and hike from there to the hotel or to take the Taiping Telpher?

How far is the hilke from Taiphing telpher to Beihai Hotel - distance and time?

I will be going to Huangshan from Hangzhou. If I want to take the Taiping Telpher to ascend the mountain, which bus to take from Hangzhou and to which city - Tangkou or Tunxi? How much by bus or and how much by taxi?

Thank you very much in advance.

2 Answers Dec 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    • Transportation from Huang Shan to Shanghai by Bus

by AJChen Online Now Jul 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM

We are planning to visit Huang Shan this month and we've been reading on various websites that we can catch a bus from Huang Shan to Shanghai. Would anyone be able to advise where can we catch this bus, how much it would cost and if bus tickets would need to be purchase in advance. - Thank you.

2 Answers Nov 10, 2010 at 1:50 AM
    • Shanghai to Huanshan flight from Pudong or Hongqiao airport?

by happyshirt Online Now Jun 19, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Yay! Going back to Huangshan again in the spring. I noticed that all the flights from Shanghai to Huangshan seem to operate from Hongqiao airport. Is that correct? They flew out of Pudong airport in 2008. This will really affect my schedule so need to be very sure. Hoping someone here can confirm.

Thanks!!

5 Answers Nov 11, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    • July Trip - Please Help

by lil_hippo Online Now Jun 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Hi - I'm going to Huangshan in July and trying to make reservations but have some lingering questions. Any help would be much MUCH appreciated.

1) Is Beihei Hotel too far to walk to if you ascend via Taiping cablecar in the morning and then walk around West Grand Canyon first? What if you are traveling with parents in their early 60s.

2) Is Cloud Dispelling Pavilion the best sunset spot in July?

3) Is Lion Peak better than Bright Top for sunrise?

4) About what time would I get back to Tunxi if I left Beihei hotel at 8 am, descend via the Western Steps (no Heavenly Capital Peak), and take the Yuping cablecar down.

5) Other than location, are there big difference between Beihei hotel and Baiyun hotel? I've heard horror stories about booking online for these hotels, is it better to call them?

6) How much in advance do you need to buy bus fare from Tunxi to Shanghai? Do they all take the same amount of time (5 hrs) and go to the same bus station in Shanghai?

7) Is the trekking map on Huangshantour.com the best treking map available?

Thanks so much!!!

3 Answers Jun 9, 2010 at 12:47 AM
    • planning for 2D1N on Mt.Huangshan

by gaccia Online Now May 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Is it possible for average physical strength people to do this in Huangshan?
      First day: Go up to the top by Yungu Cable car and walk to Beihai Hotel for checking in, then walk to Fairy walking bridge via the Flying-over rock. Walk back same way to see sunset at Cloud Dispelling Pavilion, then walk back to Beihai Hotel in the dark. As we will avoid going up to the peaks, so just stick on the flat main trail.
      Second day: Walk to Lion Peak for sun rise, back to hotel, check out then go down from Yungu cable car (same as the ascending).

Or

First day: Go up to the top by Yungu Cable car and walk to Beihai Hotel for checking in, then walk to Cloud Dispelling Pavilion for sunset, walk back to Beihai hotel.
      Second day: Walk to Lion Peak for sun rise, walk back to Beihai hotel for breakfast and check-out. Then follow the trail to Flying-over rock and Fairy-walking bridge and then take Yuping cable car down.

Need help please. Thank you.

3 Answers Jun 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    • Need some advice please!

by doyoucount Online Now May 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Will be visiting Huangshan in approx. 2 weeks. I have have arranged lodging at the Bei Hai Hotel on the mountain.

My questions.....
      What is the best route up to the hotel (I will be staying in Tunxi the night before).

The next day we plan to spend the morning on the mountain and then head down to visit Nanping & Hongcun. Any suggestions on how to spend the morning before our descent?

Finally, are there any really good walking maps to the mountain?

Thanks for your help!

4 Answers Jun 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Hot springs area hotels

by SandiM Online Now May 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

On our next trip to Huangshan in the spring, we want to stay near the hot springs scenic area. I am aware of the Taoyuan Hotel, and the Best Western Huangshan. Are there others to consider which are very close to the hot springs? We won't have a car, so we will be on foot so we'll also be needing access to taxi service to get a ride to the Yungu cablecar to start our ascent.

5 Answers May 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Huangshan or Taishan?

by SandiM Online Now May 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM

For my third photography trip to China, should I go back to Huangshan (beautiful, but really strenuous for me, who is sorely out of shape) or should I try Tai Shan in Shangdong (never tried before)? I heard this one was great too, but perhaps not as ethereal as some of the scenery I saw on Huangshan? Advice from those who have climbed both, please? Thanks! Keep in mind I love photographing fairy bridges and odd rock formations (found a few good ones on Huangshan).

3 Answers May 15, 2010 at 3:20 AM
    • matjung's Profile Photo

Huangshan by plane or train from Shanghai

by matjung Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Hi,
      I would like to spend a few days in and around of Huangshan and I still undecided how to go there.

So far I found only one train connection leaving Shanghai South Railway at 17:49; arrival in Huangshan on 9am.
      Is there any faster connection?
      E.g. from Shanghai to Hangzhou by train and then by coach or train to Huangshan?
      I read that it takes just three hours from Hangzhou to Huangshan by express bus.
      Is the express bus stop in Hangzhou near the rail station?
      Or is there a coach between Shanghai and Huangshan?

Would there be an express bus stop near Huangshan Scenic Area?
      Or would I need to change the buses in Huangshan?

Based on the information I found on the net, China Eastern offer flights between Shanghai and Huangshan, but on these two websites
      www2.ce-air.com/en_new/index...
      flychinaeastern.com/home_dom...
      I didn't find anything.
      Have they discontinued serving Huangshan?
      Are there other airlines available?
      On shanghai-air.com I found this flight:
      FM9265 SHA TXN 14:50 15:55
      But I don't want to sacrifice an afternoon to travel from one place to another place.

5 Answers May 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

How stupid was that? Climbing 1/2 mountain

by SandiM Online Now Feb 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM

So I'm looking over my photos of my climb on Huangshan, which I did in September 2009. We took the cable car up the Eastern side, and hiked up to the Beihai hotel to watch the sunrise the next morning. After breakfast, we headed toward the Western cable car. The path split in 2 directions, one headed to the West Sea Canyon (right hand path), and the left hand path headed straight up. On my map, it looked like it was a shortcut to get to the cable car but ended up being an upward stair-climbing journey which took a couple of hours and was murder on the legs! In hind-sight, did I really miss out the THE most beautiful section of this climb?? I can always re-schedule another trip back to Huangshan, but it would have to be worth it to go through it all again. So, for those of you who have hiked that section from the Beihai hotel to the Cloud-dispelling pavillion, and then past the flying rock, was it really something I shouldn't have missed? Was the walk harder than the one I did (the shortcut?). I mean, it was so hard on us that we ended up hiring the porters to lug us down the mountain (at top speed) for125 each (and we tried to bargain but they wouldn't budge on the price) from the Bright Summit area....So, thoughts? Should I do it again? I did take the detour at Baiyun Hotel and go to the Fairy Bridge, which was precarious but definitely worth the risk, judging by the photos I took...what to do?

5 Answers Feb 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    • Transportation from Hangzhou to Huangshan

by mencenges Online Now Jan 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Hi there, I need some info about the transportation from Hangzhou to Huangshan. I heard there is an express bus which ply Hangzhou - Huangshan. Where can I get the ticket of the bus? I also need some info about the schedule and fare of the bus.

Thanks,

Reksa

1 Answer Jan 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM
    • irinasimone's Profile Photo

Last-minute: Snow on the mountain?

by irinasimone Online Now Jan 6, 2010 at 8:22 AM

hi folks,

I've got a last-minute question before leaving for china tomorrow:
      is there a lot of snow on the mountain at the moment?

(I'm not sure which shoes to take...)

thx a lot for your quick reply!
      irina

10 Answers Jan 6, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Bus Tunxi - Taiping

by irinasimone Online Now Dec 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Just one more question:
      How long does the bus take from Tunxi to Taiping?
      (and the buses and planes end in Tunxi = Huangshan right?)

THX!!

5 Answers Dec 24, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Baiyun Hotel

by irinasimone Online Now Dec 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Hi all,

I've just spent hours reading all your posts and answers concerning Huangshan- thanks a lot to all of you!

Now one question for myself:
      Ellyse mentioned she prefers to stay at the Baiyun Hotel on top.
      1. Where exactly is it located?
      2. I just found an offer on the net: 1280 CNY regular price, 680 CNY if you book in advance on the site
      (hstoday.com/English/hoteldet...
      I will spend a night on the mountain on Jan. 12th - a Tuesday in the low season. Do you think I need to book in advance?
      3. I'll be arriving in Huangshan on Jan. 13th - which Hotel do you recommend
      (I'd like to start early next day going up the Taiping Cable car)

Thank you very much for your advice!
      Greeting from snowy Austria,
      Irina

5 Answers Jan 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    • Trip to Huangshan

by carlos40 Online Now Sep 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Hi,
      I plan a trip to Huangshan for mid october; brobably I will come direct from Shanghai or from Hangzhou, if I decide to stay also for one or two nights in Hangzhou.
      After Huangshan I want to continue to Hongcun and Xidi and than further down to Wuyuan, afterwards continue to Wuyi shan (if transport available) or back to Tunxi and by Train down til Yongding (Hakka area).

I plan to arrive in Tangkou before lunchtime, leave my big lugguage somewhere and go up to the top (or take the cable car). Then I would like to walk on top til evening for sunset and stay on top in a dorm for the first night. Next day I would like to hike west sea canyon and stay another night in a dorm-room. On day 3 I would got down the western steps and take the 2 o'clock bus to Hongcun.

I plan 2 nights on the mountain to have enough time for photography and also I don't want to hurry since I think Huangshan will be the top-highlight of the trip. I plan to avoid the weekend and go between monday to friday.

My questions:
      1) Like I already mentioned: Is Tangkou a good base for leaving the luguage (probably I won't stay a night in Tangkou because after the mountain I want to continue to Hongcun)?
      2) I want to go up the eastern steps, but I also think about the option to take the cable car, because then it would be easier to transport more water. Would I miss a lot skipping the eastern steps?
      3) Another option going up would be the Taiping cable car: Is it very difficult to go to Taiping from Tangkou, is there public transport?
      4) Where to book the dorm-bed for 2 nights, how many days in advance?

By the way, I already stayed on Huashan (near Xi'an) in a dorm for 80 (without shower). This time for 2 nights in a dorm a shower would be essential!

5) How much is a bed in a dorm with shower?

Well, thanks for your info.

1 Answer Sep 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM
    • mkit's Profile Photo

weather in sept

by mkit Online Now Aug 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM

i am going to huangshan in beginning of sept. wandering how is the weather there...
      do i really need windbreaker or anything thick over there???

13 Answers Aug 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    • Xihai hotel North wing?

by happyshirt Online Now Aug 22, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Anyone has an information on what Xihai hotel north wing is? i've tried to do a search but only see South wing. The travel agent has booked me into the north wing so i'm wondering what to expect. So far reviews for Xihai have not been encouraging :(

thanks

3 Answers Aug 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    • the perfect weekend for non perfect hikers!

by virginie.verardi Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Hello,

My parents are coming to China and we (4 people) are planning one weekend in Huangshan.

I have already been there but to be honest, I just got up, walked around and went down to other places (it was part of a tour).

This time I have lots of imperatives and I want it to be great for them! So here it comes!

- We want to spend only one weekend there (coming from Shanghai) so we're thinking night train in order to not loose to much of the saturday.
      - We are thinking of taking the cable car, wich one is best and how to get there?
      - Can somebody tell me what is the best scenic route up there for non great walkers?
      - We wanna stay on top for the night but don't have a huge budget, what do you think is best?
      - Where is the best spot for sunset?
      - What time should we get down if we still want to have time to go to train station or airport to catch a return back?
      - My boyfriend needs to be at work on time on monday morning, is there night buses because the train arrive at 10am... Will the flight tickets cost a lot in peak season?
      - We are going the 5 and 6 of septembre, at those dates do we still need to reserve a lot in advance?

I know it's a lot but I want to make sure they experience the best of it, it will be their first and only time in China... For the other cities I feel more confident but Huangshan in 2 days is a tight shift!!

Thanks a lot!
      Virginie

1 Answer Jul 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

White Cloud Stream Scenic Area question

by SandiM Online Now Jul 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I've heard that this 'newly'-developed area is quite incredible to view. If we stay at the Beihai Hotel, and begin our descent after sunrise, is it much of a detour to take this path before doubling-back to go down to the Yuping cablecar? I heard there are some lovely fairy bridges and other interesting sites along this route, but we only wanted to go as far as the bridge (is there more than one?) and then go back to the western steps to continue going down.

1 Answer Jul 9, 2009 at 2:42 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Western Steps question

by SandiM Online Now Jul 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM

My mother (72) and I (41) will be experiencing Huangshan mountain this September. After some extensive research, we have decided to take the Yungu cablecar up the mountain, and stay at the Beihai Hotel at the top for 1 night. For our descent, we have decided on the Western Steps. We heard they are the most strenuous going up, but how about if we go down? Where would be the 'trouble-spots' to watch out for on the way down? Will we miss much scenery if we decided to walk down only until we reached the Yuping cablecar and took it down the rest of the way? At the top, once we start going down, is the 'easiest' path clearly marked? I have this foreboding image in my mind of clinging to the wall of the mountain as we struggle to go downward--that's not on the western steps but a side-path to one of the peaks, right? I've read many stories of the upward and downward journey but since I'm only interested in the SIMPLEST, SAFEST, downward journey on the WESTERN steps, can someone who has fumbled their way down these steps give some insight? We may be older ladies but we can still tackle a mountain, as long as it's not terribly strenuous. thanks!

10 Answers Jul 13, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    • A couple of Huangshan questions

by ladygray Online Now Jun 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Hi all,

I'm planning on going to Huangshan from Hangzhou around the 16th-18th of July. I'm thinking of following Ellyse's oft-recommended route up via Taiping, West Sea Canyon, down by the West side the next day, and have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to leave Hangzhou for Taiping by bus that morning, and still have time to get up the mountain, do the West Sea circuit and get to the hotel?

2. Do you have to do the circuit en route to the hotel or is it possible to check in first, as going up one side and down the other doesn't seem to leave much leeway for left luggage.

3. How do you book a dorm bed at Baiyun Hotel? I saw the phone number, but am reluctant to test my horrendous mandarin over the phone.

4. How easy is it to find your way around once you get off the cable car? Have seen a few maps, like this one here: huangshantour.com/gallery/di..., could someone give me an idea of where the west sea canyon is on that map? Am going on my own, and am a little worried that I'll get hopelessly lost.

TIA for any help! :)

3 Answers Jun 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    • independant traveler

by yellowrebel Online Now Jun 21, 2009 at 4:42 AM

Getting to Mt Huangshan is no drama, bus from Hangzhou then bus/cab to Tangkou hotel; next day to Xihai Hotel for over night on mountain. BUT can I get down and on to Suzhou in one day?

1 Answer Jun 22, 2009 at 2:23 AM