Huangshan Travel Answers

change location

Transport from Shanghai to Huangsan and back to Hangzhou.

by yellowmont Online Now Mar 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I will be traveling from Shanghai to Tunxi on 22/4/09 in the morning around 9:00am. and plan to stay at Tunxi for 2 days only.

I need some expert advice on the following before I finalise on my trip:
1)How long the bus or train will take me from Shanghai to Tunxi?
2)As I understand that there are a few Bus Stations as well as Railway-stations in Shanghai, where do I board the bus or train?
3)Will it be too late to hike the mountain when I reach Tunxi?
4)Is it advisable to engage the local tour agent to handle the 1-day tour in Huangshan?
5)If I stay a night on the mountain, what is the earliest time I would be back to Tunxi if I take the cable-car down the next day?
6)What are the names of 3 to 4-star-hotels on the Old Street(Lao Jie), Tunxi?

7)What are the bus/train time-tables from Tunxi to Hangzhou?

Thanks for the great help!

yellowmont

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • enzhu's Profile Photo

Re: Transport from Shanghai to Huangsan and back to Hangzhou.

by enzhu Online Now Mar 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I don't know anything else but there should be a train N418/N419 from Shanghai to Huangshan. It departs from Shanghai 22:35pm and arrives Huangshan 10am next day. The train station in Shanghai is Shanghai railway station.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Mar 2, 2009 at 3:26 AM

1) Bus takes about 6 hours. Train takes about 10 hours overnight.
    2) Trains run from Shanghai main train station. Buses leave from a few different long-distance bus stations at different times, what time of day are you looking to leave at?
    3) Depends on what train or bus you go by. Generally it's too rushed to go up and come down in 1 day.
    4) No need.
    5) Possibly around 1000? It takes 1.5 hours by bus from Tangkou at the foot of Huangshan back to Tunxi.
    6) I don't think that street has much in the way of fancy hotels at all. You might want to try Old Street Inn.
    7) No one would take train for Tunxi -- Hangzhou as it's not direct, you'd have to transit in Shanghai. Fast buses leave at 0700, 0800, 0900, 1000, 1110, 1140, 1230, 1330, 1430, 1530 and 1630.
    If you have more questions about transport to/from Huangshan, email me at ellyse99@yahoo.com and put "VirtualTourist" and your own username (eg yellowmont) in the subject line.

• Re: Transport from Shanghai to Huangsan and back to Hangzhou.

by yellowmont Online Now Mar 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Thank you, Enzhu and Ellyse.
    Your answers are most valuable to me.

I would be leaving Shanghai for Tunxi at 09:00, 22/04/2009.
    But I still couldn't make up my mind whether to take the morning bus or the night train from Shanghai.

The advantage of taking the night train(21/4/2009) would be gaining at least 10 hours of traveling time, but my sleep could be badly affected during the night. Besides, I have to carry my luggage around Tunxi which is quite inconvenient before the hotel check-in time(14:00).
    Traveling by morning bus at 09:00(22/4/2009), would used up at least 6 hours, to reach Tunxi at 15:00, whereby I don't think there is enough time to reach the Mountain on the same day.

Kindly advise on the best plan: the night train or the morning bus?

Thanks again!

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Mar 3, 2009 at 5:53 AM

There're buses leaving even earlier in the morning. Would you not consider those?
    If you take the overnight train, can you not check-in at your hotel earlier? Or even if you can't, most hotels will agree to keep your luggage as you'll be staying there later anyway. This is standard for most hotels in China and the service is free-of-charge.
    If that isn't possible, the train station will have left-luggage services.
    In any case, try to leave the bulk of your luggage in Tunxi instead of bringing it up the mountain. You'll thank yourself for it!

by yellowmont Online Now Mar 3, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Thank you for all the valuable help!

As this is my first free-and-easy trip, and lot of stories were told that it is tough to hike the Huangshan Mountain. I am not too confident to do it without asking lots of seemingly dumb questions.
    Luckily, there are very helpful and friendly Gurus out there to offer great helps.

I still need the following details to help me to finalize the itinerary:
    1)How much RMB to pay for the sleeper night train from Shanghai to Tunxi?
    2)I still do not know the bus time-table from Shanghai to Tunxi? And how much RMB to pay for them? Which bus station that I have to go to?
    3)How much RMB to pay for the morning bus fare from Tunxi to Hangzhou? And which bus station does it arrive at Hangzhou?
    4)What time is the last cable-car trip from the mountain back to the foothill?

Thank you in anticipation!

Yellowmont.

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Mar 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM

1) Are you going by hard or soft sleeper?
    2) The buses depart from various long-distance bus stations. Fare varies from 105 to 135 RMB, depending on the "quality", speed and route of the bus. Earliest bus is at 0628 from Shanghai South long-distance bus station at 0628, fare 135 RMB.
    3) Fare varies from 70 to more than 100 RMB. The fast buses that take about 3 hours cost >100 RMB. Buses all arrive at Hangzhou West long-distance bus station.
    4) There're THREE cable cars. Which one do you mean? I think they generally stop around 1630.

by yellowmont Online Now Mar 4, 2009 at 9:25 PM

1) Please tell me the prices of the soft sleeper vs the hard ones.
    2) Do I have to book them in advance? Now?

Thank you for all your valuable help!

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Mar 5, 2009 at 12:33 AM

1) 164-175 RMB for hard sleeper, 252-264 RMB for soft sleeper. Prices quoted are for one-way, double that for round-trip.
    2) Not now, but it's still advisable to book in advance.
    As I said before, if you have more questions about transport to/from Huangshan, please email me at ellyse99@yahoo.com and put "VirtualTourist" and your own username (eg yellowmont) in the subject line.

by happyshirt Online Now Mar 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Hi Ellyse, It's me again now plngin full swing. The trains from shanghai to Huangshan what are they like? Are they clean, is it safe for a woman travelling alone? Plus i don't read or speak much mandarin, would it be relatively simple to make this trip? i can get a fren to purchase the tkt but i'm nervous about goin on my own.

thanks.

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Mar 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Clean and safe enough, I had travelled solo in mainland China extensively during 2003-2005.
    We're organising a group trip to Huangshan (departing from Shanghai) in mid-April, but I guess you might not be in time to join?

by happyshirt Online Now Mar 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM

OOH shoot. mid-april too near to arrange the logistics else i would lurve to join u. Let me know if u plan any other trips later in the yr i may be able to make arrangements t hen.

Thanks.

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Mar 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Nope, I'm not running a tour agency! And this would already be my 3rd trip to Huangshan.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Huangshan