Houston Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Houston

by adenton25 Online Now Mar 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Hi there, my family and I are moving to Houston in May, my husband got a job out of George Bush International and I will be trying to get a job at David Wayne Hooks. We are hoping to get a place in between both airports. I am wondering if that side of town is reasonably safe. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Houston

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I'm assuming with all of this that you're looking at buying or renting a house. If you're looking for an apartment though, I can offer some other suggestions.

Hooks is a pretty small airport. But I guess if you're in aviation, anything works.
    In general, anything north of 1960 is fine. As you go east though, it gets to be more rentals and lower end stuff. The closer you get to IAH on 1960, the lower the property values go. Spring would be a good option. There are a number of neighborhoods on both sides of I-45 that people consider to be "Spring," but the core is near the Hardy Toll Road and Spring-Cypress Road (2920). Unfortunately, though Old Town Spring is a really great little area, there is no good housing around it (the neighborhood immediately to the north is pretty bad).
    There's some very cheap housing between Tomball and Spring, in what's generally known as Klein. Right along Spring-Steubner there are a number of new subdivisions that I've seen (I drive by there a lot when I visit the family) advertised for100k or so. The safety of the areas there are fine. From what I understand, Spring ISD (school district) is less desirable, but I don't really know. The issue with this area is traffic, as the roads are all two-lane except for 2920, which gets backed up at rush hour. The drive to Hooks here would be easy, but the drive to IAH would not be.

If you can afford it, Champions Forest is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in that region. It's a little out of the way, but you also may like The Woodlands. I have family there, and they've liked it. It's very pretty and very family-oriented. There's also the area east of I-45 but in Montgomery County, very close to Spring Creek. These are all new developments. However, the area is a flood plain. Most of Houston is, but I can recall two instances in my lifetime when it's flooded pretty badly. The advantage is that it's easy access to the Hardy Toll Road (and thus IAH), and a relatively easy drive to Hooks.
    These are all very suburban communities through and through though. If you're looking for something a little "city" and exciting, it does not exist on the north side, unfortunately, until you get very close to Downtown Houston.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines