Houston Travel Answers

change location
atufft's Profile Photo

Delayed in Houston--What To Do?

by atufft Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

This seems similar to other posts. We're basically stuck at the George Bush Airport for 18 hrs in outbound direction and 5 hrs in the return direction. We'll need a hotel for the 18 hr wait, but the 5 hrs needs entertainment?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Delayed in Houston--What To Do?

by bocmaxima Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM

There's nothing around IAH, and it takes a half hour to get to town from there without traffic. IAH is a tough airport for killing time, honestly. Quite a few restaurants and bars, and you get 45 minutes of free wifi.
    If you get outside of security, the Marriott at the airport (accessible by the underground train) has a revolving restaurant.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • iblatt's Profile Photo

by iblatt Online Now Jul 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Hi,
    If you want to do something interesting and stimulating in Houston for a few hours during daytime, go to the museum district: several excellent museums (and also the inspiring Rothko Chapel) concentrated in a small area. And they are free!

Ilan

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Does the Houston public transit system go from the museum area to the airport? Maybe we can fit something in during the 5 hour period on the return loop (check the bags in and grab the day pack).

• monicarc's Profile Photo

by monicarc Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM

The bus system here, called Metro, just cancelled its direct service to the airport. Either way, 5 hours is seriously not enough time to try to do anything--the main route to the airport, interstate 45, is notorious for having accidents/traffic at all hours of the day, but its especially heavy beginning from about 4pm till around 6:30pm. I would't risk it, I'd just stay at the airport, read, have wine, etc etc. You'd have to plan basically an hour each way to get to the museum district (if you are lucky), then you just have 3 hours--I'm assuming you would need a part of those 3 hours to go back through security as well.

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yes, the 5 hour period doesn't look good for this venture, but we also have on the outbound flight an 18 hr layover that begins at 3pm. Houston canceled the Metro Direct system?

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Ok, I just confirmed the soon to be canceled downtown Metro Direct service from the airport. I was told this was due to lack of ridership, not budget considerations. But, apparently the original transit system buses, which have a few stops along the way, but also use the freeway to get to downtown, will still continue to operate--and for the passenger at the price of1.50 for this ride. I was quoted a 44 minute ride from the airport to downtown. It departs from Terminal C. I forgot the bus number already, but I can refigure that later.

If we depart at 4pm for downtown, wheres the bargain hotel? Or, maybe one of the downtown hotels has a free shuttle?

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM

No hotel in Downtown Houston has a free shuttle to the airport. That is really the best area to stay in, too. There are some other areas in between, but they wouldn't be worth going to. The hotels around the airport that have free shuttles are in even more uninteresting areas.

• TXgal's Profile Photo

by TXgal Online Now Aug 11, 2011 at 3:29 PM

From where the metro bus will drop you off in downtown at the Main St. Station (last stop before it turns around and goes back to the airport I think) the train station is right there on Main St. and that will take you to the museum district and Hermann Park. If you would like more specific information about location and museums feel free to e-mail me.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines