Houghton Travel Answers

change location

Events happening first week of October

by pureandsimple Online Now Sep 10, 2003 at 4:48 AM

We'll be travelling from the lower peninsula to Houghton to visit my mother in law and her daughter and husband and three great adopted kids. Anybody have suggestions for must-see/must-do on the way there or back. Travel dates are September 30 to October 7. Any suggestions appreciated. I've never been to the UP and I'm 51!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • hoser_71's Profile Photo

Re: Events happening first week of October

by hoser_71 Online Now Sep 10, 2003 at 6:31 AM

It depends on how far you want to go out of your way. I'l'd suggest stopping at the Pictured Rocks on the way up. You can also spend a little time in St. Ignace and spend a day on Macinaw Island. If you want to go out of your way you can also head over to the Porcupine Mountains. Around Houghton I'ld take a drive up to Copper Harbor to see the fall colors and drive up Brockway Mt. The colors are unreal. I'ld also make a stop at Hungarian Falls to see the waterfalls. While there also try a pasty, and a pickled egg and beer. The pasty is like a dry pot pie that the copper miners used to take with them into the mine. The local bars also serve pickled eggs that are fairly spicy and go greta with a beer. Bleachers, the B&B, and the Doghouse all have them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Events happening first week of October

by kfunk Online Now Mar 15, 2004 at 4:05 PM

If you have the time, I would check out Pictured Rocks and the Porcupine Mountains. The mountains would be really gorgeous that time of year, and "Lake in the Clouds" is a beautiful spot there!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines