Hot Water Beach Travel Answers

change location

craft galleries

by buntytaylor Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 8:40 AM

We visited the Coramandel earlier this year 2011 and somewhere near Hot water beach in North island, we visited a craft centre/gallery that had lots of lovely colourful ceramics and fountains and a shop near the entrance selling ornaments, sculptures and jewellery, some made of nz greenstone. I don't know why I didn't get a business card, but it was a flying visit. Anyone able to help me on this please? Whereabouts and name of place would be good. Can't get back in a hurry from the uk, so help would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: craft galleries

by ranger49 Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Sorry I can't give you a name but you could browse this site -

http://www.artscoromandel.co.nz/

and you may spot what you are looking for.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: craft galleries

by buntytaylor Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Thanks, as to where it actually was, or what its called I can't remember. I only know that there were some beautiful vivid coloured ceramics there. Wall plaques, some two or three feet long in sets of three in amazing colours. I have e-mailed my brother in law who took us there, but have not had a reply yet. I have already looked at the site you recommended, but to no avail. Oooh! frustrating or what. My husband seems to think it wa somewhere near to Hot Water Beach.

Thanks anyway

Barbara

• Re: craft galleries

by buntytaylor Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

ps I live not far from Symonds Yat.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Was it in a township or at an isolated location in the countryside? Was it in the bush or in gardens?

In many, many shops/galleries you find colourful ceramics, sculptures and jewellery.

Are you sure it was on the east coast of the Coromandel? From what you describe I understand it was a bigger complex with several studios and one major shop. There is one such thing north of Coromandel township on the west coast, it is at the start of the Driving Creek Railway.

drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/In...

Fountains... Could also be the famous Waiau Waterworks, but that's also near Coromandel township:

http://www.thewaterworks.co.nz/

The Waterworks would be on the 309 road from Whitianga to Coromandel town, so on the road you would take when travelling from Coromandel town to Hot Water Beach.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

P.S.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM

The road via the Waterworks is not the main connection to Whitianga but a very scenic - but time-consuming... - "shortcut". It would be 4km into the 309 road from state highway 25, south of Coromandel township.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Have you tried looking at Google Earth to see the lay out of the Hot Water Beach village?? It may help memory jog to recall the location. We visited the Hot Waves Cafe at 8 Pye Place Hot Water Beach, Whitianga. It had artists products available. You could start by finding that on G Earth.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines