Hopkins Travel Answers

change location

Rafting

by steelersfandc Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I will be visiting belize next week after making reservations today. I am an avid rafter and am curious if there are any good rivers running this time of year. We will be staying in Hopkins, but I am willing to travel. I have had a horrible time tracking down any outfitters online.. thanks for the help

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Re: Rafting

by HasTowelWillTravel Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM

From what I've seen when visiting Belize (I was looking for something along those lines when my wife and I were there in November), this is just the beginning of their rainy season, so rivers might be a bit low at the moment. However, rafting is up-and-coming in Belize, though it's not on the standard tourist trails. The main rivers you can raft are the Belize, Mopan and the Macal, with the Macal being the most serious (class IV-VI).

There is some rafting in Cockscomb Basin, which is about a 30 minute drive from Hopkins (and is flush with a lot of wildlife as well). You can also check out Slickrock adventures (http://www.slickrock.com/) and see what they're hosting. They operate out of San Ignacio, a fair drive/bus ride from Hopkins. Also there, if you're looking for something in the Class II range, the Mopan River has shorter rapids near the Xunantunich Maya ruins (also near San Ignacio).

Good luck, let me know what you find out!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Rafting

by steelersfandc Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I feel like I am bumping around in the dark trying to find an outfitter! I guess Costa Rica should have been my destination. I look at slick rock, since the kayak option looks fun on the class IIs but they say no singles- and I don't think my father will be joining me. I will let you know if I find anything...just bummed that Im missing the whale sharks and rafting the macal too...I guess I will be chomping at the bit by the time the New and the Cheat start running in March, but it was a great winter, so hopefully the juice will be flowing!
    If you discover anything else or have a suggestions for must do activities in the Hopkins area let me know. Dad isn't certified, so no diving! other than that he is pretty fit.

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Re: Rafting

by HasTowelWillTravel Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Yeah, I think that Costa Rica is more ideal for white water... they usually have major competitions there each year, on the Pacuare river if I'm not mistaken. I think Belize just hasn't had a chance to develop that sort of adventure tourism yet, but I'm guessing it'll be coming up in the next couple years. I agree about the whale sharks, we were disappointed that we missed them too, but you can't plan a wedding and honeymoon around shark migrations.

As for other things to do in Hopkins, you have a fair number of choices. For outdoorsy types, you can zipline in Bocawinga (about a 30-40 minute drive), and they have waterfall hiking/rapelling as well there. A bit south of Hopkins you can tube down the river in Cockscomb, or take on some hiking in Cockscomb as well. It's a beautiful place, totally doable as a daytrip from Hopkins or arrange to stay/camp there if you want to be out in it more. We did both day hiking and night hiking through the jungle and loved it (didn't see any jaguars, but saw their prints, plus a host of other animals). Some of the lodging will also arrange for other tours out on the water, upriver, or out to the Mayan ruins. Just some ideas.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines