Hopkins swimming snorkeling

by samiblas Online Now Dec 7, 2004 at 1:21 PM

Can one swim or snorkel out of Hopkins

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • africaking's Profile Photo

Re: Hopkins swimming snorkeling

by africaking Online Now Dec 7, 2004 at 4:30 PM

Yes I think you can , all that I have seen there is the beach, no excursions for snorkeling are available (not that i noticed anyway) Hopkins is small and a tad bit grubby looking, but everyone says it's great, just some advice tho, if you plan to stay overnight there whatever you do, do not stay at the Kismett Inn (the far end of the beach) as the woman who runs it is extremely negative and will rip you off of every cent that you have, we learnt the hard way. Other than that the view is nice and I can't see any problem with swimming or snorkeling although you might not see much, but anyway, good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Hopkins swimming snorkeling

by MrRandMcnally Online Now Dec 8, 2004 at 8:51 AM

I agree, Great for swimming but Don't know that you will see much with a snorkel, Mine stayed in the bag the whole time I was there. If you can choose your time to be there try November 19 when the Garifuna Culture is on display for their Settlement Day festivities. Also I would suggest Hopkins Inn. Run by a German, US Couple it has nice clean rooms, fruit for breakfast and is right on the beach

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Re: Hopkins swimming snorkeling

by diver-x Online Now Dec 8, 2004 at 4:03 PM

The snorkeling is not good at the beach in Hopkins. Too sandy (=cloudy water) and too much sea grass. But you can arrange a snorkel trip. We didn't go, but our hotel mates did take a trip to a small Caye on the reef and had a great time. The hotel owner made arrangements with a local guy to take them out. There is also a small dive shop in town that I think takes snorkelers. I forget the name, but they were right on the main street - can't miss it. We stayed at Tipple Tree Beya and were very pleased, though it is very rustic. But if you're going to Hopkins, that must be what you're looking for!

• Re: Hopkins swimming snorkeling

by hyladae Online Now Jan 14, 2005 at 8:22 AM

The guy (Greg Duke, I believe) at Hopkins Inn will take you out snorkeling, it was wonderful!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines