Hoorn Travel Answers

change location
nuppe's Profile Photo

Matjes -where?

by nuppe Online Now May 20, 2003 at 6:46 AM

Where is the perfect place to eat Matjes in Holland? I want to write about it inNorway, searching a nice, maybe historic setting, a good place and maybe someone with knowledge of dutch food culture. Maybe a cheap place to stay too...

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • PeteNL's Profile Photo

Re: Matjes -where?

by PeteNL Online Now May 20, 2003 at 6:54 AM

I would suggest Scheveningen, where every year in late May/early June the arrival of the new catch is celebrated. Don't know the date for this year, maybe it's on holland.com though. Other historical ports like Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Stavoren or Hindelopen (to name a few) may have more places of interest to offer, but they don't have this "vlaggetjesdag". By the way, we call them "Hollands nieuwe" or simply haring, Matjes is the German word for them! Enjoy them! P.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tijs's Profile Photo

by tijs Online Now May 20, 2003 at 8:07 AM

Vlaggetjesdag is a good suggestion. It will be on the 31st of May this year in the harbour of scheveningen. You can see games like eating the biggest number of herrings, fishing ships, folklore music and clothing, etc. You can taste the new herring yourself everywhere and of course you can buy cheap baskets of herrings for preparing at home. Take tram number 11 from the station Den Haag Hollands Spoor in the direction of Scheveningen Haven. Send me an email if you need help with finding accomodation in Scheveningen. Tijs Here is more info about Vlaggetjesdag taken from the official Dutch touristwebsite: http://www.holland.com/ ------------------------- It has been a tradition since the 16th century for the people of Scheveningen to gather on the quays of the harbour to welcome the decorated ships of the herring fleet back and inspect their catch - the first new herring of the season. Ever since that time, Vlaggetjesdag heralds the arrival of the first herring. Vlaggetjesdag, literally “flag day”, named after the colourful little flags that decorate the ships of the herring fleet is celebrated every year on the Saturday before Whit Sunday. This year once again the arrival of the fleet will be announced by a canon shot, after which the first barrel of fresh herring will be offered to the admiral of the fleet. The official festivities will start at 10.30am. Hundreds of smaller sailing boats will enter the harbour along side the flagship “de Eendracht” – a truly impressive spectacle. The highlight of the day however, is the herring race which starts around noon. Six old sailing vessels will compete in the race for the famous herring goblet. Besides the festivities on the water, music and dance shows, sports tournaments and demonstrations, old Dutch games and other fun activities have been organised along the quays. For the brave amongst you the taste of the first new herring of the season is a not to be missed experience!

• catnl's Profile Photo

Re: maatjes haring-Scheveningen

by catnl Online Now May 20, 2003 at 9:23 AM

i agree that Schevingen is the best place on may 31st. Vlaggetjesdag and its really delicous eating raw fresh hering, some do eat them with unions as well:-) have a great time!

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo

by Weissdorn Online Now May 20, 2003 at 11:29 AM

Matjes you can eat in Emden, Bremen, Cuxhaven or Hamburg. You can get great "nieuwe" in Lemmer or on Texel. In Hoorn you can get them in this little trailer next to the tower or at the Vismark at the other end of the harbour canal, along the canal near the tower.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Matjes -where?

by pieter_jan_v Online Now May 20, 2003 at 11:39 AM

At: noord-holland-tourist.nl/v_a... you can find hotels, pensions and B&B at Hoorn. btw Matjes is a German expression for herring woth we rather call Zoute Haring (or Hollandse Nieuwe, when the new fish arrives at Vlaggetjes dag). PJ

• nuppe's Profile Photo

by nuppe Online Now May 20, 2003 at 12:42 PM

This was fun and interesting! I have been considering Scheveningen and now there's no doubt. I think I'll reach one or two more places and I 'll look at the other suggestions too. If anyone has recommandations within Amsterdam, that would also be interesting. But it almost seems I could go anywhere and find the fish.

• nuppe's Profile Photo

by nuppe Online Now May 20, 2003 at 12:48 PM

Thank you for the information, I feel a little wiser now. To me it seems difficult to get a place to stay in Scheveningen. But I have seen a few places in Haag, and I guess the distance wouldn't be to big. So ther will be no crisis, but I am open for any suggestion.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

by Pavlik_NL Online Now May 20, 2003 at 12:56 PM

Scheveningen on the 31st of May. This year this date is "Vlaggetjesdag" (=Day of little flags) and in tradition the fishermen then return from the open sea with the first load of "Hollandse Nieuwe" (=Dutch New) or "Maatjes-haring" Have a great stay and ... good appetite! Eat them according to the rules. Take the fish at the tale, slide it through the cut-up onion, hold it over your head and ... take a bit of it. Regards, Paul

• PeteNL's Profile Photo

by PeteNL Online Now May 20, 2003 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, Den Haag (aka 's-Gravenhage) is fine to stay, but also Amsterdam (or other places in the area) which is less than an hour by train from Den Haag is no problem. As Tijs already mentioned there is a direct tram to Scheveningen, taking you 15-20 minutes (my guess). Maybe it is an idea to book in advance though, the weekend may be busy also because it's Ascension Day on the thursday before - this means long weekend in Netherlands and other countries! Have a nice stay! P.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now May 21, 2003 at 11:12 AM

The real Dutch VT-ers have their favorite herring spot at the Amsterdam Nieuwmarkt. Look at virtualtourist.com/m/1c2d2/7... (hard to find) for some pictures. PJ

• nuppe's Profile Photo

by nuppe Online Now May 21, 2003 at 11:46 AM

The real virtual ones? I think I found it. I do hope I like the fish - actually that part isn't done yet.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now May 22, 2003 at 12:05 AM

Every year a major national newspaper called Algemeen Dagblad does a herring test at fish stalls and shops throughout the country. The results are often surprising and more often than not devastating. Tested are freshness, hygiene, price and loads of other stuff. The raw herrings should be cleaned as short a possible before they are consumed to retain freshness. Anyway, the fish stall in Brielle has been in the top 3 for the last few years. And last year Schmidt Zeevis in Rotterdam had first place. Remember, this is a national test! So forget all other places: come to Rotterdam or Brielle. Never mind the latter is my hometown. LOL

• nuppe's Profile Photo

by nuppe Online Now May 22, 2003 at 12:57 AM

Has to be seriously considered. I read it now after posting my question load.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines