Honolulu Travel Answers

change location
katmai's Profile Photo

Free things to do

by katmai Online Now Feb 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Aloha-- We are to visit Honolulu and stay in the Waikiki area this fall. Since we are on a tight budget I am looking for free (or really inexpensive) things to do while there. Any suggestions or websites to check on would be appreciated. Please share your knowledge and good experiences. Mahalo.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Hopkid's Profile Photo

Re: Free things to do

by Hopkid Online Now Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM

All of these are in and around Honolulu.

Hike Diamond Head (go early before the temps rise)

See the hula show at Kuhio Beach towards the Diamond Head end of Waikiki govisithawaii.com/2007/12/13...

Catch a free movie on Sat or Sun at Queen's Beach, also on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki but further east of Kuhio Beach. http://www.sunsetonthebeach.net/

See a performance of the Royal Hawaiian Band. They play most Sundays at the Kapiolani Bandshell in Kapiolani Park and Fridays at Iolani Palace. honolulu.gov/rhb/concertcale...

If you're staying in an apartment or condo, get food supplies at the Kapiolani Community College farmer's market every Saturday morning. http://www.hfbf.org/FarmersMarket.html

A lot of hotels have free entertainment as well so check out their websites. One of my favorites is catching the show at sunset at the Halekulani restaurant, House Without A Key. The stage is outdoors and surriounded by small tables and chairs. The show is free and there is no obligation to buy food or drink although it's a good idea to buy something. It's not exactly cheap but one drink couldn't hurt. Great music and very beautifully-done hula. I recommend going when Pa'ahana are playing (Sun/Mon/Fri). halekulani.com/dining/house_...

Go to the fish auction early in the morning over on Pier 38 I think past the Aloha Tower Marketplace. frommers.com/destinations/oa...

For budget food, go to Rainbow Drive-In, Leonard's Bakery (for malasadas!), Wailana Coffee Shop, Mauna Kea Marketplace in Chinatown (they have an awesome food court). Oh and for fresh flowers and leis, to go any of the flower shops in Chinatown on and near Mauna Kea Avenue.

I hope that helps!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Feb 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Look at the website for free things to do in Oahu, over 101 things thatn are either free or very cheap. See their website: gohawaii.about.com/cs/oahuac...

by travelgourmet Online Now Feb 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Look at the website for free things to do in Oahu, over 101 things that are either free or very cheap. See their website: gohawaii.about.com/cs/oahuac...

• katmai's Profile Photo

by katmai Online Now Feb 28, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Mahalo much for your fantastic ideas and website postings. It is impressive how much inexpensive stuff there is in Honolulu. We are looking forward to trying many different things there. If any more come to mind continue to share them please including the affordable restaurants.

• RogerOma's Profile Photo

by RogerOma Online Now Mar 2, 2009 at 6:57 AM

When you go through the Honolulu airport terminal be sure to stop at the visitor stands with the tour flyers and pick up the ones like This Week Oahu and Oahu Gold plus the Best of Oahu as they have several coupons and maps inside.
    Another spot for hiking beside Diamond Head is Makapuu Point you get a very good view of Rabbit Island and maybe Molokai before the clouds build.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

by Hopkid Online Now Mar 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM

There's also the hike up to Manoa Falls.

• paulvir's Profile Photo

by paulvir Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Hopefully you are getting this before your trip.

I'd recommend a walk through the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The hotel covers 22 acres on the beach of Waikiki and there are some interesting things to see like the penguins and just sitting around the lobby (facing the beach) and doing people watching. Not really exciting but it's FREE.

• paulvir's Profile Photo

by paulvir Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Try Zippy's for cheap/quick eats. Kinda like Denny's on the mainland. You should also try breakfast menu from McDonalds.
    Check this out: mrcheapstuff.com/deals/2007/...

McDonalds Spam, Portuguese, Omelete and Rice is my favorite.

• katmai's Profile Photo

by katmai Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Mahalo once more for all your ideas. We leave for Waikiki later this month so I can still put them to good use.

by travelgourmet Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Aloha, I guess I can get one more idea in for inexpensive restaurants. Near Waikiki, is the Ala Moana Shopping Center. They have a Makai Market Food Court with all types of Pacific Rim foods as well as everything from McDonalds to sub sandwiches in all price ranges. They also have free entertainment most days in the center court. See their website for all the shops and times of things to do and see at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. http://www.alamoanacenter.com/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines