Honolulu Travel Answers

change location

Backpacking Hawaii

by nzanne Online Now Feb 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM

I am seriously considering travelling to Hawaii this summer for 4 weeks, but will do so alone and as a backpacker. Is this a good place for backpacking, meeting people, and just "go with the flow"? Or should I hold of on going to Hawaii until I have someone to travel with? If I were to go, where should I start to meet up with people?

Secondly, I'd love to take the PADI open water course to learn diving. I have been looking at the different diving companies, but has any of them got especially good/bad reputation? (any recommendations?)

All answers and advice is very much appreciated =)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Re: Backpacking Hawaii

by Etoile2B Online Now Feb 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

We definitely saw a lot of backpackers in Kauai and on the Big Island when we were there a couple weeks ago. There are lots of places to camp on the beach , and I would expect you would meet other travelers there. We are planning to return to backpack through the Hawaiian Islands. I would expect, though that you would probably meet more people on the more populated islands like Maui or Oahu. But we saw lots os backpackers at the Farmer's Market in Hanalei on Kauai. Also check out the town of Pahoa on the Big Island. Lots of backpackers there too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines