Travel Answers
Hong Kong Island

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Nice places to stay close to parks and yummy local food?

by wheredoigo Online Now Apr 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Whats the best way to travel with kids to?

more
    • Regarding May. Lama, Lantau or Discovery Bay?

by wheredoigo Online Now Apr 20, 2015 at 11:50 PM

We are traveling with family , 2 girls , 6 and 2 years and wanted to take a couple of days towards the end of the week in one of the island, which one would you recommend. Could we travel straight to the airport form any one of these?
      Thank you in advance.

more
    • adin's Profile Photo

very basic and preliminary info - cost of living, safety etc

by adin Online Now Apr 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM

As very basic, first "reaching out" questions for Hong Kong, business mainland (kowloon):
      1. cost of living assuming good hostel (dormitory), mid-range eating places, some public transport or local taxi in the island.
      2. which currency - EUR or USD to bring with me, or is it the same in terms of local customs and acceptance.
      3. General use of MasterCard - can rely on it in most places? banks? ATMs? No danger of "duplicating" in shops?
      4. Places of medical help / clinic in case of need, western standards.
      5. words of safety/beware of........(young woman traveling alone).
      6. recommended travel pages here on VT.
      Thanks.

more
    • Nice places to stay close to parks and yummy local food?

by wheredoigo Online Now Apr 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Whats the best way to travel with kids to?

5 Answers Apr 25, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    • Regarding May. Lama, Lantau or Discovery Bay?

by wheredoigo Online Now Apr 20, 2015 at 11:50 PM

We are traveling with family , 2 girls , 6 and 2 years and wanted to take a couple of days towards the end of the week in one of the island, which one would you recommend. Could we travel straight to the airport form any one of these?
      Thank you in advance.

5 Answers Apr 21, 2015 at 11:36 PM
    • adin's Profile Photo

very basic and preliminary info - cost of living, safety etc

by adin Online Now Apr 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM

As very basic, first "reaching out" questions for Hong Kong, business mainland (kowloon):
      1. cost of living assuming good hostel (dormitory), mid-range eating places, some public transport or local taxi in the island.
      2. which currency - EUR or USD to bring with me, or is it the same in terms of local customs and acceptance.
      3. General use of MasterCard - can rely on it in most places? banks? ATMs? No danger of "duplicating" in shops?
      4. Places of medical help / clinic in case of need, western standards.
      5. words of safety/beware of........(young woman traveling alone).
      6. recommended travel pages here on VT.
      Thanks.

7 Answers Apr 11, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    • leeuss's Profile Photo

Hong Kong Transport Operating Hours

by leeuss Online Now Feb 24, 2015 at 8:48 PM

I will be arrive HK by this coming 16th March 2015, estimate time arrive 5am HK time.
      If possible i would like to go to hotel which locate at Mongkok (Dorsett Mongkok)
      i dont want to spending time by hanging around in airport for few hours.
      Prefer taking a taxi direct reach hotel for my convenience.
      Any idea for the operating time & the fares?
      Thanks.

9 Answers Feb 25, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    • young couple visiting hong kong from january 23 to 26, 2015

by toursit_canada Online Now Jan 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM

hello, young couple (around 25 years) travelling to hong kong and looking for suggestions for activities. we are looking for night life suggestions as well places to visit while in hong kong. thanks for your assistance

9 Answers Mar 10, 2015 at 2:57 AM
    • orthogal's Profile Photo

Accomodation

by orthogal Online Now Jan 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM

I am flying into Hong Kong on a Friday night with a 12 hour layover. The hotels near the airport are double the price on a Friday night and not even close to my budget. Is there a hotel perhaps near any of the train stations on the island or Lantau Island without heading into the city . I want a place to sleep, not spending too much time on the train.

Thanks Anne

9 Answers Jan 11, 2015 at 4:57 AM
    • lesliench's Profile Photo

Budapest to Prague Night train

by lesliench Online Now Nov 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Is it available for booking the night train from Budapest to Prague at 31/12/2014 online?
      I had tried several system online but all the replies are not available for booking.
      It is urgent for booking these tickets. Please help.

2 Answers Nov 17, 2014 at 4:13 AM
    • annesophia's Profile Photo

how to get to Shenzhen from Tsim Sha Tui

by annesophia Online Now Oct 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM

can anyone help me figure out the easiest how to get to Shenzhen? our hotel will be located from Tsim Sha Tui area, Imperial Hotel, and the travel agency cancelled off the Shenzhen tour, but still we would like to go on with the trip...

3 Answers Oct 31, 2014 at 3:39 AM
    • FDAZA64's Profile Photo

Hong Kong these days

by FDAZA64 Online Now Oct 19, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Is there any problem to go HK these days for public order?

2 Answers Oct 20, 2014 at 4:09 AM
    • Accommodation

by DonnaC44 Online Now Sep 27, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Planning our first trip to Hong Kong, need recommendations for hotels or aparthotels please which have free wifi, fridge in room accress to to public transport, shops and restaurants. also intend to to go to Disney world so any information or tips greatfully received

2 Answers Sep 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    • Lantau Island & Macau

by CRSS Online Now Aug 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hi to all, is it possible to arrange a trip from lantau island to macau? pls advise. Tq in advance

3 Answers Aug 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    • Culture and cultural events

by radadaisy80 Online Now Jun 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I will be in HK from June20-July20 and I am planning to go to some of the museums. I was wondering however, whether there are any other cultural events: opera, festivals, etc.? I looked on the HK opera website but it didn't show anything. Does anyone know of a site that gathers such information? Alternatively, does anybody know of any events like these?

3 Answers Jun 2, 2014 at 1:22 AM
    • Hong Kong to Angkor Wat

by radadaisy80 Online Now May 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I want to go to Angkor Wat from Hong Kong -- I have five days.
      1. What airport should I fly to in Cambodia?
      2. Is there a cheaper airline?
      3. How do I get from airport to the temple site?
      4. How are accommodations in Angkor Wat?
      5. Is it safe?

2 Answers May 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    • Day and weekend trips from HK

by radadaisy80 Online Now May 18, 2014 at 1:16 PM

What are some easy and affordable day and/or weekend trips from HK and how do I get there? I'll be in HK for a month and will have most weekends free to explore. I'm also willing to take short flights to other close locations.

Thanks so much in advance!

6 Answers May 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    • From HKIA to Silka Seaview Hotel

by barbl Online Now May 16, 2014 at 10:12 PM

We are 4 adults. What will it cost us by taxi to get from HKIA to Silka Seaview Hotel and will we need 2 taxis? We will have 2 large suitcases with us.
      Thanking you in advance
      Barb

5 Answers May 24, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    • Martinewezel's Profile Photo

Cotai water jet - Macau Ferry Terminal

by Martinewezel Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 3:23 AM

Can I buy a round trip ticket to Macau at the Cotai Water Jet counter in Hong Kong?
      I searched the internet and the info is not clear to me. Some websites mention that it's only possible to buy a one way ticket (because of the difference of currency with Macau).
      I know that booking a round trip is possible online.

4 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    • cassteve's Profile Photo

Cost of nightlife

by cassteve Online Now Mar 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Ive got a reasonable deal for nine nights in June in Kowloon, but I`m wondering what the beer and food prices are like? I shall thank you in advance and just hope I don`t need a wheelbarrow to cart my money around!

3 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 2:45 AM
    • pepemorris11's Profile Photo

New cruise terminal to Hong Kong International airport

by pepemorris11 Online Now Mar 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Hi there to all VTers!
      Arriving by Celebrity Millenium to the new cruise terminal at Kai Tak. Want to get to the International airport by public transport. Need to get to the airport by at least 11am. Not laden with loads of bags. I only have a 24" luggage so I think public transport would be ok . Has anyone done this before?
      Or any Hong Kongers who have visited the new terminal by public transport, is there a way to an MTR station without having to take a taxi?
      I don't speak Cantonese at all. Help! thanks in anticipation

7 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    • Vaccinations

by jones23 Online Now Feb 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Are vaccinations required when travelling to Hong Kong.Some conflicting advice is given on various web sites.I 'm travelling at the start of March 2014.

4 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    • Shopping suits in Hong Kong

by jw051284 Online Now Jan 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I am going to travel in Hong Kong in next month. Thinking of shopping suits in Hong Kong, is there any tips when buying a suit?

4 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    • Budget Hotels near the city

by ellaangelica17 Online Now Dec 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Can you suggest budget hotels near the city or any near the Train station? Budget would be around 130USD for 3 days 2 nights? thanks.

5 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    • effazainal's Profile Photo

Disneyland & Ocean park tickets

by effazainal Online Now Dec 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Hello,
      Where can purchase cheap tickets on both amusement park? Is it worth go to ocean park in winter?

4 Answers Dec 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    • Martinewezel's Profile Photo

Macau Turbo Jet

by Martinewezel Online Now Dec 6, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Does anybody knows if it is possible to travel with the Macau Turbo Jet from Honkong airport (Lantau) one day after arrival in Hong Kong? Or is this service only for passengers in transit to Macau, presenting a valid ferry ticket with the same day departure?

4 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    • travelling with kids - need advise on hotel/ places of interest (4D 3N)

by icesnowy Online Now Nov 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hi, I plan to travel to HK in Mar 2014 with my 2 kids (5yr old and 2yr old).
      Kindly advise on kids friendly hotels (near public transports)...and places of interest...
      wish to also stay in Disneyland hotel on the last day~

pls advise as budget as possible ~~ lol~~ thanks!

3 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    • Hotel near Kowloon Shangri-La

by Kanram Online Now Nov 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hello,
      I wouldlike to know a good hotel (5 star ) in Kowloon near Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel , I prefer with in waliking distance from Kowloon Shangri-La ,as I have a conference in Shangrila and was not able to find a booking.
      Thanks

4 Answers Nov 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    • lifesaver888's Profile Photo

HongKong mobile simcard

by lifesaver888 Online Now Nov 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I would like to ask for everyone's suggestion as to what simcard should i buy for my mobile phone? I prefer one that offers low rates for services such as sms and international calls.
      Thank you!

3 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 3:05 AM
    • rimbaldi's Profile Photo

Shopping in Hong Kong

by rimbaldi Online Now Oct 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Hi, all! Im traveling to Hong Kong for the first time and i'm beyond excited! I have 5 nights total and been told that after all the sightseeing, THIS is the place to go shopping and eating! However I don't want to shop for cute little Knick Knacks, which is what the ladies market seems to be? Im a tech head and love clothes(more casual chic than dressy.) There's so many places to each I have no idea where to go(I love beef and pastry) I heard the Chocolate tea room at the Ritz is amazing so Ill try that once. I've heard about going to Shen Zen or Macau for shopping at tech things but this is just my searching on the internet. So I'd rather get some help from my VT buddies! Any suggestions?

14 Answers Nov 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    • lifesaver888's Profile Photo

MiniGreen Bus(MGB) 10a and 10b

by lifesaver888 Online Now Oct 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hi, any idea if Sheung Wan area has easy access to bus stops of the MGB 10A&b? I need a place to stay that has transportation access going to Pokfulam Rd and Sandy Bay areas, specifically Queen Mary and Duchess of Kent Hospitals.
      Aside from Sai Wan and Western kennedy Town,what areas should I consider in finding a place to stay?
      Thank you.

6 Answers Oct 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    • Can I bring a liqour to Hong Kong Airport?

by themask Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I am traveling from South Africa via Hong Kong and to my final destination. I am planning to buy South African liqour in the airport and hand carry it. It is allow in the HK airport? I know in EU Territories, hand carry of liquid is not allow unless it was bought from member of EU airport. Please advise

4 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    • ktlaw1's Profile Photo

China Home return permit for HK ID (not passport) holder?

by ktlaw1 Online Now Sep 30, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Hey guys

I know the rules around HK and China change everyday, but..

I'm a 3 star HKID holder, but I don't hold the passport. I am a British passport holder though I suspect this makes no difference to my plight or may even hinder it.

I want to know whether I can apply for a home return permit for China, so that I can get in and out without the need for a visa.

Any ideas are massively welcome..! Thanks in advance.

Katie

1 Answer Sep 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM