Hong Kong Island Travel Answers

change location
spacedust's Profile Photo

Hong Kong to Guangzhou

by spacedust Online Now Jan 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Hi,
I will be in Macau on work in early February. I have 2 days to spare post that. Was wondering if it makes sense to make a quick dash to Guangzhou. I have 3 questions (if someone can help answer)
1) How long will it take to go to Guangzhou from Hongkong or Macau (a high speed train would be preferred)
2) Is Guangzhou a city/region rich in culture/architecture? I wanted to see China some day and was wondering if Guangzhou would live up to the idea the world has of Ancient/Old/Rich sultured China
3) Is Guangzhou better than Shenzen for the above
I do not want to go to pick rip-offs, pirated CDs, electronics, theme parks or fake Fendis. I want to see & experience China - and yes, I know its not Beijing. Just trying to make the most of an opportunity
Thanks
Francis

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mim95's Profile Photo

Re: Hong Kong to Guangzhou

by mim95 Online Now Jan 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

There is a high speed train running from Shenzhen to Guangzhou now. But be careful to take note of the station, as there are many train stations in both cities. It takes only 35 min. Hong Kong isn't connected yet to the high speed railway. So you'll have to take a regular train or bus from Shenzhen.

Guangzhou is definitely a better city to visit than Shenzhen. Shenzhen was developed only in the late 70s/early 80s because of its proximity to Hong Kong. Guangzhou has a rich history. It was opened up to European traders hundreds of years ago, and it was where the opium wars took place.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hong Kong Island