Hong Kong Island Travel Answers

change location

7 hour layover at HK airport

by oscarsterl Online Now Aug 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Any suggestions as to what to do/see during a 7 hour layover at the airport?

Enough time to go have lunch or some sightseeing anywhere?

Suggestions?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: 7 hour layover at HK airport

by Homanded Online Now Aug 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

1 hour minimum to go through customs and immigration, 45 mins to the city (that's almost 2 hours).
    45 minutes return to airport at least 2 hours prior to departure...that's 3 more.
    That's almost 5 hours eaten up right there.
    2 hours is about all you have really, maybe 2 1/2.
    You could go to Victoria's Peak but, depending on the lines, that alone could take another 1+ hours.

You could go to Kowloon area and do some quick browsing/shopping and grab a quick lunch or dinner before returning to airport.
    I'd take MTR opposed to cabs.

I hope this helps,
    Homer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Aug 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Yeah, definitely stick with the subway/train system. Take the airport express in and out of the city.

I would say take the airport express into HK Station. The IFC mall is right above it, and there are plenty of restaurant choices (mid-high end) in there. The Star Ferry terminal is just a bridge walk away, and you can take the famous ferry across the harbour to Tsim Sha Tsui. There are also plenty of restaurant choices inside Harbour City, right next to the TST ferry terminal. You can enjoy the view of the harbour and the skyline, and do some shopping. Depending on time, you can go to Ladies Street in Mongkok to test your bargaining skills, and then take the train back.

• al2401's Profile Photo

by al2401 Online Now Aug 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM

I would suggest staying on Lantau Island (where the airport is) and visiting the Po Lin Monastery and the Big Buddha. Take the Ngong Ping cable car up to the monastery and also enjoy a meal at the restaurant - vegetarian of course but still delicious. You avoid the travel time to the city and still get to see some amazing sights.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hong Kong Island