Hong Kong Island Travel Answers

change location

Post office in HK and services-urgent

by teevee Online Now Jul 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Are post offices easy to find in main town of HK? A tourist first timer in HK, friend of mine will be going there very, very soon. Will be sending some books (almost 4 kilos approx) over to Malaysia. What's the cheapest but reliable service to opt for? The HK Post's website states there are 2 options 1.Air parcel and 2.Surface mail parcel. The air parcel is kinda pricey. So best option is surface mail but cannot seem to find out if they provide registered mail. It does state insurance but no rate given. I need to factor in cost to find out if it is worth sending the books. My main questions are:

1.Does HK post provide registered surface mail
2. How much it costs-registered
3. If not,what is the cost of insurance by surface mail for books worth usd30

The rates for air parcel and surface parcel are on the website,can i assume it is quite updated?

Kindly advice, i've posted this in the misc forum but there aren't as many Asians checking in there i think.

Thank you in advance!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Post office in HK and services-urgent

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jul 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I've looked at the website and it seems clear that you can insure the parcel, but you cannot register it. The cheapest product that they offer lets you buy insurance, but the rates are not published (I expect because the rate structure for insurance is complex).

Registration - not an option. If you want track & trace capabilities, it looks like you need their muchmore expensive "Speed Post" option. I'm not sure why you would want registration for this shipment - track & trace would make more sense if I were shipping

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines