Hong Kong Travel Answers

change location

best location for staying in Hong Kong?

by romeonovember Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Hi there, we will be in HK for the last leg of our honeymoon from the 4th to the 6th of May next. We would like some advise on where to base our selves if possible. We would like a good area with lots of dining options (not M Star but good quality local and international), and a few good lively bars for a few drinks after. Location would have to be near the metro so that we have easy access to the tourist sites. Also from reading other reviews of hotels in HK, alot of people seem to spend the extra in hotels to get access to club lounges, so I am wondering is this a benefit we should spend the extra 200$ or so on or just go local for dinner/drinks and have b and b in the hotel? Any assistance on this would be great!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: best location for staying in Hong Kong?

by c-rae Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Basically, it depends on your budget. There are some nice 5 Star Hotels directly on the waterfront in Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon side) such as the Marco Polo, Peninsula, Sheraton, Interconti etc. which are close to the MTR (subway), Star Ferry and buses. Since you are on a honeymoon you might want to have a look at the newly opened Ritz in the ICC location which is a bit away from the hub, but still can easily be reached by MTR since they have a MTR station directly in the shopping mall. On Hong Kong Island you have several other good option such as the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-la, etc. all with a very good location and easily be accessed by MTR etc. Frankly speaking: it doesnt really matter where you stay in HK. The next MTR, tram or bus station is usually just a few minutes foot walk away. Just prepare and keep in mind that space is precious in HK and you have to pay a premium price for the hotels - no matter where you stay in HK. About the club lounge access: really depends what your plans are for HK. Is it sight-seeing, shopping or just having a relaxed time? generally speaking if you want to explore the city, you probably will be out most of the day ad the club room access makes hardily any sense. Better to spend this money at a nice bar with a view (for a good overview of bars with a view I can suggest you the following article nextstophongkong.com/top-bar.... Other main areas to grab some drinks and food in HK are Lan Kwai Fong, SoHo and Wan Chai on Hong Kong Island and Mongkok and TST on the Kowloon side. Hope that's a bit of a help.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • swissfondue's Profile Photo

Re: best location for staying in Hong Kong?

by swissfondue Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Hi there, Im assuming you havent been to Hong Kong before. You dont mention wanting to do loads of sightseeing or shopping so I'll offer suggestions for a more relaxing couple of days to end your honeymoon on a high note.

Personally, and if you can afford to, I would splash out on a hotel room with club lounge access. Hong Kong is busy 24/7 and as soon as you step out onto the street you will be caught up in the frantic activity of everyday life. In early May it may be humid so your hotel does become an oasis, somewhere to recharge your batteries. I always stay in Mongkok and I can recommend the club lounge at the Langham Place hotel. Nice rooftop pool as well.

I have a rather comprehensive Hong Kong page if you are interested.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Hong Kong Travel Answer Locations