Hong Kong Travel Answers

change location
monicarc's Profile Photo

Time estimate for immigration

by monicarc Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I know this can vary but we will just have a bit of time in hk and I wanted to estimate how long it will take my husband and I to get out of the airport--flying in from bkk on emirates, we will have checked baggage. I just want to make sure it's not something crazy like we experienced at heathrow last year, one hour, at least in immigration line, I stopped checking after an hour! We land at 5:45pm on a Thursday and hope to stay at an airport hotel (our goal is to have dinner and drinks in Macao that night).

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Time estimate for immigration

by cachaseiro Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I have been through Hong Kong emmigration twice this month coming from Istanbul and Cebu and both times i had to wait for around 10 minutes to get my passport stamped.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Time estimate for immigration

by mindanaon Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

what month are u flying there?

• monicarc's Profile Photo

by monicarc Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM

July

• gaolei's Profile Photo

by gaolei Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Look into the airport ferry. Some airlines will forward your baggage direct to the ferry. The ferry is in the terminal and is part of the airport transport system. It goes to Shenzhen, China and Macao. The ferry has a 3 letter airport code I believe it is PRD. If you can get your airline to check your baggage through to the SkyPier at KH airport, you just go to the ferry terminal and go to Macao. If you go through immigration at HK airport, there is no way to get to the ferry.

Check with your airline. Here is a link to the ferry information.
    turbojet.com.hk/en/airport-f...

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Hong Kong Airport can be busy but they are usually efficent at handling queues. I would be very surprised if you had such a long wait in the immigration line here.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 5:11 AM

It is a number of years since we've been to HK and Macau. Allow an hour for the ferry to Macau and then there is immigration at Macau. We had to wait in line at the Macau immigration for quite a long time before we got through.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM

20 minutes

• Re: Time estimate for immigration

by c-rae Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:17 AM

As gaolei pointed out: you don't need to go thru immigration in HK if you take the ferry at the Skypier (have a look here hongkongairport.com/eng/tran...">hongkongairport.com/eng/tran... case you still want to clear immigration and customs you should calculate roughly 45-60 minutes until you hold your checked bags in hand....but this depends on the time of the day and how much planes arrive at the same time

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Hong Kong Travel Answer Locations