Hong Kong Travel Answers

change location

A hotel convenient for attractions - which area?

by slaweq Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hello everyone. I will have a 3-day stopover in Hong Kong soon and I would be grateful for some tips in terms of timing and suggested area for accommodation. I will arrive Hong Kong on 14 March at 3 p.m. and leave on 17 March at 5 p.m. What I am planning is: shopping (mainly clothes, maybe some electronics), take a ride on the Ngong Ping cable car, have a harbor cruise and see Macau (half day there – I’ve heard that is enough time to spend there). Is that all doable in your opinion? If not, what shall I skip from this short list? Could you please let me know in which area shall book a hotel to have possibly easy and convenient access to a/m attractions? Any tips will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: A hotel convenient for attractions - which area?

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hi - we stayed in Kowloon at the Langham (http://hongkong.langhamhotels.com/) - a fantastic hotel!! It was very convenient to the markets, the harbor, etc. My review of the hotel and things to do in Hong Kong can be found here - "Too Few Days in Hong Kong..." - Hong Kong by Donna_in_India

Have a great time!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: A hotel convenient for attractions - which area?

by c-rae Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Hi slaweq, Since you only have three days in HK, I wouldnt recommend traveling to Macau...it will take you a complete day (ferry takes 1 hour each way, plus you have to pass HK and Macau Immigration) and is to my opinion not do-able within your short time as well as other sightseeing requests.

For a good sample itinerary as well as a complete resource of information about HK have a look at one of the best private ressources about HK in the internet: nextstophongkong.com/attract...

Regarding your question about hotels: really depends on your budget. Most convenient location is at Central (HK Island) or Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon side with eg Marco Polo Hotel, Sheraton, Interconti, Peninsula,or as a budget tip the YMCA) where you have easy access to the Star Ferry, MTR, and public buses as well as taxi. In close vicinity there are several shopping malls including HK's biggest one the Harbor City Mall.

Reagrding the Langham the previous poster mentioned: please note that there are 2 Langhams in HK. One is located in TST area the other one in Mongkok.

Hope that's a bit of a help.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Just a note - the link I provided is for the Langham that we stayed at and I did mention that it was in Kowloon so shouldn't be any confusion. :-)

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM

For shopping you are probably best off in Kowloon. The Marco Polo Hotel is convenient and nice. There are many others. There are lots of shps in Tsim Sha Tsui. Temple Street Night Market is not too far away. You can also visit the ladies market in Mong Kok - the flower market and bird market are near this and quite interesting.

In TST you can explore he Avenue of Stars and take a harbour cruise.

Nong Ping Cable car is easy to get to - just take the MTR to Tung Chung. While on Lantau it is worth seeing Tai O Village with its traditional stilt houses if you have time.

Be aware that there are some dodgy electrical stores in TST. Try shopping at a chai like Fortress.

• Re: A hotel convenient for attractions - which area?

by c-rae Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM

class="member-name"Donna_in_India wrote:

Just a note - the link I provided is for the Langham that we stayed at and I did mention that it was in Kowloon so shouldn't be any confusion. :-)

For your reference: Both Langham hotels are situated in the Kowloon area... One is "The Langham Hong Kong" in Tsim Sha Tsui, another is "Langham Place" in Mongkok. In case you don't know, Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok both belong to KOWLOON area. :-)

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I did not realize that there were 2 in Kowloon and I think I even gave the wrong link originally! The correct link is - hongkong.langhamplacehotels.... - for the Langham Place.

• iblatt's Profile Photo

by iblatt Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Hi, I recommend staying in the "Golden Mile" in the Tsim Sha Tsui at the tip of Kowloon. It is central and has easy public transport connections to any part of Hong Kong. Here is the tip I wrote about the hotel I stayed in: Holiday Inn Golden Mile: "Good Hotel on the "Golden Mile"" - Hong Kong Hotel Tip by iblatt

Enjoy Hong Kong!

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I've stayed many times at the Langham Place Hotel in Mongkok and recommend it if your budget allows. Its not located close to the harbour but a short MTR ride will get you there. It is a well located hotel if you want to take the MTR out to Tung Chung (Ngong Ping 360 cable car and Citygate outlet shopping centre), and is close to the markets of Mongkok and Sham Shui Po (ladies fashion and electronics).

My Hong Kong pages have loads of information about the things you want to see and do.

I agree that you should skip Macau this time as it isnt feasible or porbably even possible to do a half day trip. I've done a long day trip (left by Turbojet at 7.30am and returned late in the evening) and the experience felt very rushed.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Hong Kong Travel Answer Locations