Honduras Travel Answers

change location
cvscott's Profile Photo

Will my cell phone work in Honduras

by cvscott Online Now Aug 6, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I'm leaving next Friday and I called Verizon today and they said my world phone won't work in Honduras??? Anybody else try this? This is sad, yet I'm chained to my job...Victoria

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: Will my cell phone work in Honduras

by kathymof Online Now Aug 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM

You will need a GSM phone with a SIM chip that will work in Honduras. Many Central American countries are very difficult when it comes to cell phone regulations.

www.telestial.com does not carry a country-specific SIM card for Honduras but Honduras is listed as covered by one of their multi-country SIM ships. Please check out this link
    telestial.com/view_product.p...

Two other places that provide sim chips are www.cellularabroad.com and mobalrental.com/gsm_phone_re...

You will need a GSM phone and you can rent or buy from most of the places listed above. You can check out coverage for Honduras at gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo...

Your Verizon phone is not GSM - if you were with ATT or T-Mobile you would have a GSM phone but you would need to have it work on the 1900 band. Looking at the map, coverage does not look too good but will probably be fine in the more populous areas. There might be other options available locally but you might have to be a citizen to utilize them. I think the best option is the one offered by Telestial along with a phone rental or purchase (just compare prices)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: Will my cell phone work in Honduras

by kathymof Online Now Aug 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Re-reading your post, I am curious as to the statement that you have a "world phone" - World Phones that I am familiar with are GSM. If you really have a GSM World Phone, you could ask Verizon to unlock it so that you could use another carrier's SIM chip such as the one provided by Telestial.

I don't think Verizon provides GSM service or use GSM phones.

• Re: Will my cell phone work in Honduras

by bettyxu Online Now Dec 6, 2008 at 3:20 AM

If your cell phone support GSM1900MHz, then it can work in Honduras.
    Please check here.
    onthesource.com/technique-su...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Honduras Travel Answer Locations