Homestead Travel Answers

change location
GUYON's Profile Photo

What to do ?

by GUYON Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 5:36 AM

On our trip by car between Miami and Islamorada, we foresee to make a stop at Homestead. I there something to see there ? Can you suggest a restaurant ? Thanks

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Seabiscuit's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What to do ?

by Seabiscuit Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 6:09 AM

T- Wasn't Homestead wiped out by a tragic tornado a few years back? From the footage (video), it looked devastated. Maybe Hollywood, FLA (with the gigantic sink-hole) would be more of a place to stay! (LOL!) You know, I'm just kidding.... there are lovely places to retreat in that area, but just not Homestead or Hollywood. Lemme take a look about.... I'll post it.... J-

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Seabiscuit Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 6:16 AM

T- Oh, no, no,no.... Homestead was lookin' like a 'trailer park in a shambles' just a few years ago. (It was on the Discovery Channel, so it has to be true) ;o) Andrew was a toot, but Homestead got the full orchestra.... J-

by Seabiscuit Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 6:59 AM

"No, I'm thinking you're cornfused" T- Har-de-har-har! (I will use that though!) (Mental note, fused to an ear of questionable origin!) (LOL!) You're right, I'm lookin' it up now. Armando is a gem of all things Florida. I shall await his response.... ;) J-

• Wiley_Coyote's Profile Photo

by Wiley_Coyote Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 9:04 AM

you mean homestead ISN'T a huge trailer park? i sure looked like one a few months ago when i was drivin' thru...anyway, i'm heading in that direction tonight...will return with an update. wiley

by Seabiscuit Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 9:06 AM

Wiley- Yer a "location-god"! (LOL!) Lemme know, I'll send a pic of Laramie, Wyoming! :) J-

• YVRDave's Profile Photo

by YVRDave Online Now Oct 18, 2003 at 3:00 PM

Jeff didn't I tell you before. Its not the trailer parks that hurricanes go for. Its the bowling trophies in the windows

by Seabiscuit Online Now Oct 19, 2003 at 6:13 AM

Mea MAXIMA Culpa, T. (My keyboard was rendered un-letterable last evening.... spilled a rather nice pesto sauce into it whilst reading, had to wash the basthad off). J-

• Wiley_Coyote's Profile Photo

by Wiley_Coyote Online Now Oct 20, 2003 at 8:36 AM

ok y'all, just got back from a short little drive across the state late last night...yup, homestead is the same as it ever was. i'd say definitely give it a skip. florida city, just a couple of miles south looked like interesting and quaint, but seemed to be something out of some david lynch movie. i'd drive the whole strech in one shot...on the other hand for some real local entertainment, if there's a race going on, definitely stop in at the homestead raceway...other than that, there's really no reason to stop. http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com/

• donato1899's Profile Photo

Re: What to do ?

by donato1899 Online Now Oct 24, 2003 at 1:58 PM

Homestead is refered to by those of us who live here as "beautiful Homsetead, fl." We hit bottom from Hurricane Andrew about 1998, since then housing prices and land values have gone thru the roof. There are thousands of new homes being built 5 to the acre east of US #1. The best restaurant for a tourist is right on our main street, Krome Avenue at the corner of Mowry Street, El Toro Taco, a tex-mex place. I prefer another Mexican restaurant a few doors north called," La casita de Tejas." North of Homestead on Krome Avenue is our agriculturearea called the Redland. The Redland Fruit and Spice park on SW 187 Ave and SW 248 Street is worth a few hours to see tropical plants from around the world.

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

by pulgaron Online Now Oct 29, 2003 at 2:28 PM

Hi guys. Sorry for the delayed answer, but been in Spain since the 16th. Tropic is correct. No major storms in the Homestead area have been recorded since Andrew. Not much more to add on top of the other suggestions. Perhaps a stop at "Here is Robert" fruit stand in Florida City for a nice tropical fruit shake. Also in Florida CIty is the old Railroad Museum. Also the farmer's market, where one can pick up fruit and vegetables for good prices. There is a nice tourist trap on US 1 on the way south to Homestead, around Naranja, there is the Coral Castle attraction. And yes, the Homestead, Florida City area always looks like a trailer park after Thanksginging, when our Canadian friends drive their motorhomes down for the winter. Don't leave anything in plain view inside your parked car.

by Seabiscuit Online Now Oct 29, 2003 at 3:53 PM

Oh, siddown, Bob! (LOL!) Speaking of storms, Rash was up here a few weeks ago and brought a videotape of the September hurricane in Bermuda.... WOW! I put a few pix under my weather t-logue on Bermuda... Not 'plugging' here, but a storm that peels the asphalt off the roads???? My double-wide would never last! ;o) J-

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines