Homer Travel Answers

change location

One way car rental?

by mwprods Online Now Nov 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Hoping to drive leisurely from Homer to Anchorage airport in late July 2013 after my ferry ride from Kodiak to Homer. Any idea of cost, and even likelihood, of getting ONE-way car rental I can drop off at ANC? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: One way car rental?

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Nov 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Homer as you may know is pretty isolated but the drive up to Anchorage is very pretty with a lot of nice stops along the way to view the scenery including one spot off the road to see a nice glacier and the tunnel that takes you on to Palmer. I have driven their once on my way to Seward but decided to take the extra longer journey to see what Homer is like. Not much in Homer though to see other than the Homer Spit, Kachemak Bay State Park and a great little visitor center (can't recall the name) that talks about the area.

According to the Homer web site there are 3 places to rent a car at the Homer Airport Terminal. I tried Hertz but they did not allow a one way trip via their web site. Generally speaking figure anywhere from 150 on up for a one way rental with a drop off in another location. Cars generally are much more expensive to rent in Alaska than in the lower 48. Strongly recommend taking out insurance that protects you against windshield cracks and breaks since so many of the roads are gravel.

Dutch, a VT member, lives in Kodiak and is more familiar with the area.

Here is the Homer rental car link;

cityofhomer-ak.gov/airport/c...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alapah's Profile Photo

by alapah Online Now Nov 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I think the likelihood of a one way car rental between Homer and Anchorage is slim but I'd highly recommend phoning the companies in Homer rather than relying on website interfaces as what you are asking for is a special request. Good luck!

• Re: One way car rental?

by mwprods Online Now Nov 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm sure you're right!

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Yes calling would be a good idea but the hours of operation at some of these car rental places in the small Alaskan towns I have found is very spotty even when they claim they are in the office. I am pretty sure Hertz well let you do a one way rental but definitely call them to be certain.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

We were able to rent one way from Homer to Anchorage when the flights cancelled due fog about 10 years ago. Hertz charged an extra35 fee.
    Long time ago.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Dec 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

As Rick said, based on his experience, if you can get a rental from Homer with only a 35 drop fee from Hertz I would definitely take it and get in writing.

by emilywentw Online Now Jun 15, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Thank you so much - my boyfriend's friend is an aerial photographer and has his own plane which we plan to use - we may also rent a car for just the reasons you have suggested.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by emilywentw Online Now Jun 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Fantastic - thank you. I assume front wheel drive should not be an issue?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines