Homer Travel Answers

change location
9tigers's Profile Photo

is it worth it to take the expensive boat to go to the other side of homer split?

by 9tigers Online Now May 31, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I know there is a state park across from homer, but the boat trip is expensive, is it worth it to go, if so, which one is more worth it.
also I noticed that the boat trip to there is not offered everyday.

any information are appreciated.
I would like to find out more informaiton about Homer hiking trails, not those super long ones, like 4-5 miles are perfect.

Daisy

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • onebadcat's Profile Photo

Re: is it worth it to take the expensive boat to go to the other side of homer split?

by onebadcat Online Now Jun 4, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Besides the beach walking there are no trails near Homer that I know of. Your only choice is a boat to the national park across the bay.

Scott

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 9tigers's Profile Photo

Re: is it worth it to take the expensive boat to go to the other side of homer split?

by 9tigers Online Now Jun 5, 2007 at 10:22 AM

but is it worth it to go across to the state park? from homer?

• onebadcat's Profile Photo

by onebadcat Online Now Jun 6, 2007 at 6:51 PM

I have heard i is really beautiful but have never done it myself. You would likely have the whole park to yourselves most days and I suspect the glaciers are awesome based on the view from Homer? Guess it will depend on whether you want to spend the cash?

Scott

• homerlocal's Profile Photo

by homerlocal Online Now Feb 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Answer: Yes. There are several choices for getting across the bay. It may *seem* expensive, but it is definitely worth it if you want to see some real Alaska. Homer is a fun little tourist spot, but across Kachemak Bay is the way to go. Our family tries to get over to Grewink Glacier Lake each summer. We consider it inexpensive for a day trip. We've posted some photos if you want to see them. cokefamily.org/Glacier-Hike-... We saw a humpback whale going over and coming back. Any of the local water taxis can help you decide which trail is the choice for you. The one you see in the pictures is Glacier Spit Trail and The Saddle Trail, with a short side trip to the tram.
    Take water and some snacks. Pack out what you pack in. Take pictures and a friend.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines