Homer Travel Answers

change location
Wendy67's Profile Photo

Homer in July

by Wendy67 Online Now May 16, 2005 at 7:27 AM

I'm researching a trip to Alaska over the summer to Homer, via Anchorage. I'm wondering how much time to spend in Homer - we're planning on five days - hoping to fish, kayak, hike, visit galleries, try the local brews, etc. Is a trip to the fjords from Homer a day trip or does it require a few days?

I'm also looking for info on rental cars for the drive between Anchorage and Homer. I'd rather not fly, but enjoy the scenery on the way down the peninsula. In my research, I've not come upon too many options for rentals.

Lodging suggestions? I'm looking at the Homer Inn and Spa for a bit of pampering after fishing for halibut all day, but it seems that there are several popular places to stay.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: Homer in July

by Roadquill Online Now May 16, 2005 at 11:47 AM

When planning my last AK trip, my friends that live in Anchorage said that Homer is great to go for Halibut from but other than a few bars is not much. They would not recommend it for more than a day and it is a long drive.

So we passed and spent two days in Seward which we enjoyed. We reserved a small SUV months in advance for a week and I thought the price was reasonable, just a little more than in So Cal.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Wendy67's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Homer in July

by Wendy67 Online Now May 16, 2005 at 12:02 PM

I'm beginning to see your point. I think we'll spend more time in Seward and then a few days in Homer. We were kind of turned off with Seward being a major port of call, but there's so much more to do and see there.

RVing would be amazing. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

by Wendy67 Online Now May 17, 2005 at 7:14 PM

I just realized you wrote SUV, not RV. :) Much better gas mileage lol :)

• onebadcat's Profile Photo

by onebadcat Online Now May 18, 2005 at 8:58 AM

Seward is a nice town but I personally get tired of it during peak tourist season. However...

There are some great places to stay around Moose Pass - out of the hustle of Seward. From here the drive into Seward is easy but you are also close distance from Cooper Landing (hiking, horseback rides, fishing or rafting) and the Kenai River. As far as Homer goes you could easily fill at least four days depending on how active you want to be (halibut fishing, kayak trip, boat ride and hiking trip to Kachemak Bay State Park, salmon fishing and/or beach combing) If you were just hanging around town then I would say Halibut one day, beachcombing and shopping one day and then out. I love the Homer area though. Have a great trip.

Scott

• katmai's Profile Photo

by katmai Online Now May 27, 2005 at 12:03 AM

A boat tour out of Seward to see Kenai fjords is a pleasant day trip with seasick pills just in case. We went with Kenai Fjords tours, website www.kenaifjords.com, was real nice with the stop at Fox Is. for lunch. The Sea Life center in town is also interesting with plenty of info. on Alaska's sea creatures and environment.
    I agree with most that Homer is good for 2-3 days.
    The drive is very beautiful especially from Seward to Anchorage. Watch out for other visitors trying to see/photograph the dall sheep on the cliffs and possible construction. A stop at Portage glacier for the visitor's center is very good. The small town of Girdwood may be a pleasant road stop too with a jade factory/store and the famous bake shop just across the parking lot behind it.
    Have a nice trip.

by Wendy67 Online Now May 27, 2005 at 6:49 AM

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I've been to both of your pages doing research and they've been very helpful :) We're looking forward to the trip, but still haven't finalized all of our plans yet. We have airfare and a place to stay in Homer, but nothing else planned. There's so much to do! lol

• onebadcat's Profile Photo

by onebadcat Online Now May 27, 2005 at 8:54 AM

If you need any more help let me know. Work can get pretty boring at times ;-)

• catalysta's Profile Photo

by catalysta Online Now Jun 4, 2005 at 12:28 PM

Sounds to me from your list of to-do's that you will have no trouble filling up 5 days in Homer. It's a great town, beautiful locale, and there are plenty of day excursions you can enjoy while you are there. Seward can be fun too, but it's wall-to-wall tourists in July.

Look into getting a float plane flight tour over the sound & the Mendenhall Glacier for an experience you'll never forget. I went with Katchemak Bay Flying Service: alaskaseaplanes.com/index.ht...

Homer is a uniquely Alaskan town; a lot of artists live there, so there are plenty of small fun galleries with locally made artwork. And don't miss the day trip by ferry over to Seldovia.

My favorite place to stay is the Chocolate Drop Inn, just outside of town along the ridge. The views are gorgeous, and the hot tub on the deck is a welcome treat at the end of your day.

The Homer Chamber of Commerce lists a lot of businesses & info to help you out: homeralaska.org/directory.ht...

by Wendy67 Online Now Jun 13, 2005 at 3:05 PM

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks one more time for all the helpful advice. Can't believe we're less than a month away!

:) Wendy

• onthebay's Profile Photo

by onthebay Online Now Jun 17, 2005 at 2:06 AM

Homer is beautiful if a little quirky! Halibut Cove, across Kachemak Bay is an artist colony. Check out Diana Tillion's squid ink paintings. The Pratt Museum is a must see.

Seward is a great alternative. Now that the cruise ships aren't as plentiful there is less traffic in town. Fishing charters abound as well as kayaking and trips into Kenai Fjords National Park. Water taxi service is available and Lowell Point, just south of Seward is a lot quietier than Seward and there's great beachcombing and hiking trails out to Caines Head State Recerational Area. AK State Parks have 4 cabins in the area and there is one business that offers lodging in a houseboat or 2 yurts on a private island in Humpy Cove. You do need to take a water taxi to the Cove.

You can take the bus to Seward in one direction and Alaska Railroad in the other. Cab fare is very reasonable arounf town.

You can hike around Exit Glacier to the Harding Ice Field and dog mush. This season there is even a sailing tour available.

• SheilaZ's Profile Photo

by SheilaZ Online Now Jul 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM

I love Homer! in fact, i just bought a couple of acres there and can't wait to have a little cabin with That View. ahh. my homepage has a panorama.

I'd also strongly second the exit glacier to harding icefield hike. it's one of the best hikes ever. amazing. if you don't mind spending time driving through spectacular scenery, do both! :)

and let's face it, isn't driving through spectacular scenery part of why people go to alaska?

a trip across kachemak bay is really worth it, and if you are there for a few days at least you will be able to plan it out. the first couple of times i went to Homer, it just didn't fit with day-trip kinds of planning.

last time we were there, it was the first friday of the month, when the galleries all stay open in the evening and you can do the 'gallery walk'. very nice. but primarily, i just stare at the view. i could do nothing but that for weeks.

• RE: Homer in July

by Alaska-Bob Online Now Jan 3, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Personally, I would spend more time in Homer than Seward. Here's my detailed take on how long to spend in Homer: alaska.org/homer/advice-time...

• fishtaco's Profile Photo

Re: Homer in July

by fishtaco Online Now May 3, 2007 at 12:46 PM

My wife and I also are going to Homer in July. We have 2 days in Anchorage and 5 in Homer then one again in Anchorage before we fly back to California. I have a halibut trip planned the first day so I can barbque FRESH halibut. Then we have an all day bear viewing. Then we will hike and kayak a glacier. The next day I will try to fish a little in a river or stream for trout or salmon while she hikes and the 5th day we may go to Seldenova (spelling?) or just drive around. We feel like there is NOT enough days to all we want to. Can't wait.

by Wendy67 Online Now May 4, 2007 at 6:00 AM

Sounds like a great plan! We were unable to spend time in Soldova as there was a huge fire that spread like....well....wild fire :) Everything was a hazy brown and many of the roads were blocked off.

So if you build a Soldova page (or an Alaska page), send me a heads up so I can check it out.

Wendy

• catalysta's Profile Photo

by catalysta Online Now May 8, 2007 at 7:49 AM

Do you guys mean Seldovia or Soldotna? 2 different towns...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines