Holyhead Travel Answers

change location
JoeRizal's Profile Photo

Holyhead - Dublin

by JoeRizal Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Hello all,

I am going to Manchester this June and planning to hire a car and drive to Holyhead. From there, plan to take ferry trip to Dublin but is it possible to bring the car to Dublin ?

If not, where is the safest place to park the car ?

Thanks. :)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Holyhead - Dublin

by leics Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Same comment as for your Stranraer question: you need to check whether the hire firm will iallow this, and you need to book the ferry well in advance (neither ferry is cheap, by the way).

You do not need a car in Dublin itself, and you may find parking difficult.certainly it will be expensive.

I think it would be better to fly from Manchester to Dublin or Belfast using a budget carrier, then hire a car there. Flying will almost certainly be (much) cheaper than taking a car on either the Stranraer or the Holyhead ferry, especially as you are likely to jhave to pauy a premium for taking the hire car outside the UK.

www.whichbudget.com will give you budget carriers and routes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JoeRizal's Profile Photo

by JoeRizal Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM

ok leics .. thanks .. i'll definitely check this option .. and get back to u for further questions :)

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I agree with leics- I've flown to both Dublin and Belfast by Ryanair- twice I did these as Day trips. Although I travelled from East Midlands airport, there are 3 Ryanair flights per day from Manchester - Dublin - Manchester.

The flight is usually less than an hour. Outside Dublin Airport are Airlink buses for the 20 minute (dependent on traffic volume - it can take 40 minutes or more during rush hour)journey to O'Connell Street or the bus station. 6 Euros for adult ticket.If you are just visiting for the day, your ticket is valid for unlimited travel on the Dublin Bus services.
    There is also a public bus service which is 1.20 Euros one way - the bus station is the building opposite the Arrivals Hall.

The DART(Dublin Area Rapid Transport) train is worth travelling on - it travels along the coast of Dublin to Malahide and Howth southwards or to Greystones, Co Wicklow. Howth is one of my favourite places.

Trains depart from Connel station to Belfast and other cities. Buses from the Busaras bus station travel to all points too

It is easy to get around Dublin on foot.

Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines