Holguín Travel Answers

change location
clobster's Profile Photo

GRAN PLAYA TURQUESA???

by clobster Online Now Nov 14, 2005 at 10:08 AM

Hi to those who may have stayed at this hotel...reviews are wondeful.I will be Heading there at the end of December.
I am curious though....as for currency...should I be bringing Cuban pesos, american dollars and Canadaian dollars...I have read so many mixed comments in regards to currency. And as for the hotel are there any towns near by? Anything outside of resort? Advice please.
Thank you for your replies in advance.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Yimi's Profile Photo

RE: GRAN PLAYA TURQUESA???

by Yimi Online Now Nov 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM

Hi there,
    I've been to Turquesa a few times and have some good friends working there.
    I love the pool.
    For cash, Canadian cash is King -- the US has a punitive tax of 10% of so.
    Credit cards also have a special fee of around 3% -- equal to the amount the credit card companies deduct from remittances to vendors. Don't bring coins.
    The best way to exchange is at the banks in nearby Holguin -- avoid the airport and the hotel exchanges as they don't have the best rates. Even the banks will vary, so shop around -- most banks in Holguin are within a 5 block radius of Parque Centrale.
    For more information on Holguin -- see www.devoted.to/holguin or www.greatrentals.com/cuba/2881.html -- I have not kept the sites up too much lately, but will have some good updates soon. You can Google for "greatrentals holguin" and my site comes up 1st.
    The best way to travel back and forth would be to negotiate a long-term scooter rental -- if you are comfortable with this form of travel. Otherwise, try to form a group and rent a car for a few days. You can always stay at Casa Margit in town (for only30 or so) if you have too much nightlife and don't want to drive back in the dark.
    Casa de la Trova and El Nocturno are my favourite clubs in Holguin.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines