Hokkaido Travel Answers

change location
vaara's Profile Photo

Ryokan with onsen and kaiseki?

by vaara Online Now Nov 2, 2002 at 8:12 AM

So, I'm thinking about taking another week-long vacation in Japan in late November/early December. Last time I went to Tokyo and Nikko, both of which I enjoyed thoroughly; but this time I'm thinking about trying something different. Can anyone recommend a fairly comfortable onsen-style resort with nice scenery and great food on Hokkaido? I'm especially interested in experiencing a true kaiseki-style meal, and of course in soaking in a nice ofuro while gazing out on snow-covered mountains. Skiing would be a bonus, but is not required. Unfortunately, I speak no Japanese, so the inn should be able to cope with English. Someone tell me where to go (nicely)! Arigato gozaimasu!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Ryokan with onsen and kaiseki?

by HawaiiGuy Online Now Mar 25, 2004 at 1:39 PM

Contact Japan National Tourist Bureau. I have a list of Ryokan (inns) and Minshuku (more like home stay) with qualifications on credit cards, languages spoken, etc. Japanese have EXCELLENT English travel materials. You REALLY should investigate their Dutch-style town Huis Ten Bosch on Kyushu! You'll enjoy Hokkaido, but too late for flowers that late in the year.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • keentravlor's Profile Photo

Ryokan with onsen and kaiseki?

by keentravlor Online Now Apr 8, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Hello

I am planning a self-drive trip to Hokkaido in July. Would your list of inns and ryokans include those in Hokkaido? Any comment about independent travelling in towns and villages, that you may have, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines