Hoboken Travel Answers

change location
davidgu's Profile Photo

Airport transportation tips?

by davidgu Online Now Mar 7, 2005 at 1:21 AM

I'm planning on staying at a friend's apartment in Hoboken as I transit through mid-April, flying into Newark, and then out of La Guardia early the next morning.

What's the best (quick and not pricey) way to get from Newark airport to Hoboken, and from Hoboken to La Guardia?

Expected costs and travel times would appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • moirholj's Profile Photo

RE: Airport transportation tips?

by moirholj Online Now Mar 7, 2005 at 4:37 PM

Personally, I would suggest taking public transportation to get yourself to LaGuardia because if you or driving, or getting a ride from someone, you never know when you will get stuck in traffic and miss your flight!

If you're staying in Hoboken you are in luck because the PATH-train runs from the Hoboken train station right into Penn Station NYC. You'll want to take the PATH train to the 33rd street stop (it's the end of the blue line on the PATH train map). Here is the PATH website: http://www.panynj.gov/path/index.html
    And a link directly to the PATH map: panynj.gov/path/pathmaplinks...

Once you get to Penn Station NYC (NOT to be confused with Penn Station in Newark, NJ) you have a few options. There are buses you can take... you can also just hail a cab and go that way, but I would suggest using one of the shuttle services. On the LaGuardia Airport website, there is a whole page dedicated to helping people get to and from there airport. If you follow this link
    panynj.gov/aviation/lgtsfram...
    you will find a shuttle service called New York Airport Service Express Bus, which specifically runs from Penn Station to LaGuardia and back all day long. It costs approx8-$10... not bad at all.

So to summarize: PATH train from Hoboken to Penn Station NYC, then airport shuttle from Penn Station NYC to LaGuardia.

Hope this helps... Good Luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidgu's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Airport transportation tips?

by davidgu Online Now Mar 8, 2005 at 1:21 PM

Thanks for the great pointers. While there's lots of info on the various websites, it's less than obvious to a poor Brit how to find your way through the myriad trains, buses, metros and connections.

The only problem I have with your suggestion (PATH to Penn Stn NYC, then New York Airport Service Bus to LGA) is that my check-in at LGA is at 7:25am, and according to the bus schedule, the service doesn't start from Penn until 7:40am (though it does run from the Port Authority much earlier).

At that time of the morning, is it just going to be much easier to get a cab? And if so, how much should I expect to pay, and what time would I need to leave?

Or is there another route that would work?

Thanks (and sorry for the dumb questions!)

Dave

• Easty's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Airport transportation tips?

by Easty Online Now Mar 8, 2005 at 2:33 PM

According to the NJ Transit website, it looks like there is only one train that connects from Newark Airport directly to Hoboken at 3:57 PM in the afternoon. There are PATH (subway line) and NJ Transit connections all day from Newark Penn Station to Hoboken. Newark Penn Station is about a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the airport. A taxi ride to Hoboken itself from Newark is about a 30 minute ride if traffic is good. Hoboken is not easily accesible from the major highways. PATH is your cheapest choice at1.50 a ride with free transfers. But you have to change trains at Exchange Place in Jersey City because there is no direct PATH train from Newark. The NJ Transit trains go directly to Hoboken with no stops. It would be shorter and a little more expensive at6.90 a ride.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines