Hobart

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Caravans at Tamby Hotel, Mitchell

Mitchell Aug 24, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Does Tamby Hotel still offer free camping for caravans?

more
    • From Perth Airport to Bunbury

Bunbury Aug 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM

Hi There, I am flying in from Melbourne to Perth on Tuesday at 5.05pm. What is the best way to get from the airport back to Bunbury?? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks
      Heather

more
    • Peak season

Lorne Aug 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Hi, does anyone know the peak season for Lorne? ie when does the theatre, trampolines etc start to stay open during the week? Thanks, Chris

more
    • bar with djs

Kalgoorlie Sep 7, 2014 at 4:35 AM

do any of the bars hav djs playin the music = ]

more
    • TravelingSue's Profile Photo

Tower in Sydney

Sydney Aug 28, 2014 at 6:37 AM

This is my 6th time to Australia and the last time, I visited a tall building that had a large area on top that was similar to a theatre. The program takes you so that you feel like you are flying over Australia. I think they may also do that walk up high where you walk on glass and can look down below. Can anyone tell me what building that is and where it is located? Doesn't Sydney have a Hop On Hop Off bus? Thanks for the info.

more
    • Hostel and transport

Gold Coast Aug 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Hi guys. My friend and I will be travelling to gold coast in this coming september for 3 days. Trying to search for suitable accommodation, but I have no idea which area should we stay.
      Here is our schedule: warner bro, white water world, dracula haunted house and wet n wild. We would like to visit some nice beaches as well.
      Can anyone please kindly enlighten me about which area is the best so we dont have to spend so much time on travelling?
      Another question, is there anything like travel pass in gold coast? How does the public transport work?

Sorry for asking so much. Thanks in advanced guys! :))))

more
    • old car n war relics? around kalbarri you can visit / look at VF Zoe

Kalbarri Aug 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Can you tell me if it is around kalbarri the old war relics n cars etc? Someone's farm you can go and look at?

more
    • How to get around the Gold Coast

Gold Coast Aug 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Hi, i was wondering what the easiest and cheapest way to get around the gold coast as we plan to go to theme parks and maybe other attractions, have been advised cars arent worth while and have taken that into account, we are staying at Breakfree Beachpoint and will be arriving at Coolangatta airport and departing from Brisbane, will be in the gold coast for 6 days and 5 nights? i really need some help, would be very apprectiated. Thanks guys!

more

Shopping & Must See Places

Cairns Aug 28, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Will be in Cairns for a couple days. Where is the best place to shop and what are the "must sees" besides Great Barrier Reef? Thanks for the info.

more
    • Which baby wrap is safe while travelling?

Byron Bay Aug 28, 2014 at 5:10 AM

It very different to travel with babies and it is not safe to carry them in baby carrier for longer hours.

more
    • grasshopperlk's Profile Photo

3 or 4 star hotel in Canberra ?

Canberra Aug 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Can you please recommend a 3 star or 4 star hotel in canberra for a night stay over + breakfast the next day and checking out

more
    • grasshopperlk's Profile Photo

3 or 4 star hotel in Canberra ?

Canberra Aug 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Can you please recommend a 3 star or 4 star hotel in canberra for a night stay over + breakfast the next day and checking out

more
    • Riding a car from Melbourne to Brisbane. What to see?

Australia Aug 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Hi. I will be having a 10 day trip, renting a car in Melbourne and going up to Brisbane via Sydney. What would you recommend to see and what route to take? Thx and your reasons:) Cheers Andre

more
    • Bunnio's Profile Photo

Sydney to Lightning Ridge

Lightning Ridge Sep 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Travelling from Sydney to lightning Ridge soon and want to explore points of interest such as mineral baths along the way. Also interested in wetlands, fishing and natural beauty. Any pointers would be most appreciated!

more
    • What and how much for a 3 weeks holiday in Perth

Perth Aug 19, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Well, i am going to perth for 3 weeks in this mid of September. I am staying over at my aunt's house. Basically accomodation and food are not a problem, but i am just wondering how much do I need to spend on shopping and visiting places?? Any suggestion on a "must go" places?

more
    • Safe Snorkeling tour company of the Great Barrier Reef

Australia Sep 3, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Hi I'm looking for a super safe snorkeling tour company to tour GBR. We are both non-swimmers and haven't snorkeled either. I've read tons and tons of reviews both excellent and terrible on tripadvisor, but cannot pin down one company. Can you please help? We will stay in Port Douglas but are happy to take the tour from Cairns too. Thank you!

more
    • visa australia

Australia Aug 31, 2014 at 7:07 PM

hi, i am a UK citizen on a 12 month visa in australia. My visa expires end nov 2014. Can i visit NZ for a few weeks then come back to australia for 2-3 months?

thanks, chris

more
    • Melbourne Accomodation - Southbank or CBD?

Melbourne Aug 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Hi can you let me know if its better to stay in the southbank area or on flinders or collin street for first time visitors - we will be in melbourne for 3 nights only, and plan to do two day trips during this time - one to phillip island, the other to great ocean road.

more
    • effazainal's Profile Photo

Affordable accommodation

Sydney Aug 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Hi,
      I will be moving to Sydney late September and I'm looking for an apartment to rent.would appreciate if any of you VT can recommend an affordable apartment safe for a female,preferably furnished with minimal furniture and convenient distance to take public transport. I will be working in Sydney CBD area so I would prefer an apartment nearby or within a distance if I'm taking a public transport.

more
    • Second hand shop for clothes

Sydney Aug 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I am looking for second hand shop for clothes, souvenirs and accessories in Sydney, anyone that can suggest?

more
    • bongsa16's Profile Photo

DFO shop near airport

Brisbane Sep 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I am a Singaporean going to Auckland on Etihad airlines. I will transit in BNE for 5.5 hours.

if I intend to go DFO shop, is it good and really worth going with this time given?

do I need a visa, and do I have to clear immigration in and out.
      how about my carry on luggage?
      Please help, travelling with 2 seniors and 3 teenagers

more

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Brisbane Aug 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM

How is the best way to get to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. One book said Lone Pine Cruises depart from Hayles Wharf @1:15pm daily. Can you take another ferry instead of this one. Also where is the best shopping area in Brisbane. Thanks for the info. We only have 1 1/2 days in Brisbane so am deciding what is the best thing to do with that limited time.

more
    • Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

Australia Aug 23, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Hi everyone,

We are planning 7 day trip for our family who is coming from overseas. We would like to impress them with Australian beaches and nature (we are not Australians either). So what would be the best place Port Douglas or Whitsundays? They would like to enjoy sun and swim in warm water with some excursions.

more
    • Gold Coast Holiday

Gold Coast Aug 22, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Hi,

We are heading to Gold Coast in a two weeks with our two kids and staying here -
      goldcoastluxuryresorts.com.a...

Want to know all the places and things to do around here with two toddlers!

Thanks

more
    • Budget to Perth for 3 weeks

Perth Aug 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Is AUD 200 enough for a 3 weeks trip in Perth, excluded accomodation and foods? Basically spending more on taking public transport and sightseeing. Shopping maybe as long as its selling with a reasonable price. 

more
    • Eitan.R's Profile Photo

Lake Pedder & Southwest NP

by Eitan.R Online Now Jun 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I spent a week in Tasmania more than two decades ago and I'm looking forward to another trip to the Island, a longer one this time. Southwest NP looks very interesting and I'm sure some of you have explored it. It seems that the only way to reach Mt. Solitary is by boat. Is there a boat service to the island ? is camping allowed on it ?

3 Answers Jun 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    • dyah.ES's Profile Photo

Port Arthur day tour or ghost tour?

by dyah.ES Online Now Dec 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Hi,
      I am thinking to take Port Arthur ghost tour, but my husband want both day tour and ghost tour
      I am afraid there will be some kind of overlapping if we do both since the location is the same
      Is anyone has experience on both? Will it be overlapping experience if we take both?
      If we have to choose which one is better?
      Big thanks in advance

Dyah

4 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    • Buy a new car

by Nallayak Online Now Nov 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

can a tourist legally buy and register a new car in Hobart, Tasmania ?

4 Answers Nov 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    • Car Rental

by bebecathy Online Now Sep 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Hello.I will be visiting Hobart on November for 3 days and planning to rent a car.Any suggestions any affordable company? I am a Malaysian international student, and can I actually drive using my Malaysian license? And how many people can the car fir in- small car for example suzuki swift etc. Cause I've checked on a few company, it seems like it can only fit in 4 adults?why is it so?Isn't it supposed to be 5 people in a car?Please advice.
      Thank You

3 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 2:42 AM
    • expatbangkok's Profile Photo

Pubs & stuff

by expatbangkok Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

What are the best pubs to visit in Hobart? Any that brew beer on the premises? Also, what is there to do in the middle of August? Cheers

5 Answers Sep 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    • WoodyPoon's Profile Photo

Car Rental

by WoodyPoon Online Now Jul 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

We are planning to fly to Hobart early August and planning to stay there for four nights. We plan to drive around Tasmania but do not know which car rental to use. Which is the recommended car company? Is it advisable to book the car online or book while in Hobart? Thanks

4 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    • Driving holiday Tasmania

by trishalambi Online Now Jun 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

We are a family of four - 2 kids aged 17 and 14 and are looking at touring Tassie in December. We were thinking of hiring a motorhome but are now considering hiring a car and booking accommodation. My question is: is it better to stay in a central location or locations and do day trips or are we better to drive to the next town and stay? Any itinerary suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Trisha

7 Answers Jun 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    • itinerary for 4 nights in tassie

by asawari Online Now Aug 17, 2012 at 4:35 AM

hi,
      me & my hubby (age 30yrs.)
      I will be traveling to Hobart for 4 nights. pls.help me to plan my itinerary
      is rent a car compulsory or public transport is ok?
      my interest is in Photography, so pls suggest me some places.
      i m pure vegetarian,can i get veg. food in Tassie?

4 Answers Aug 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    • Snow close to Hobart

by Kirra1 Online Now May 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Hi Iam travelling to Hobart for a few days in the first week of August, my grandchildren just want to play in the snow, can anyone tell me if Mt Wellington would have snow or where would be closet point from Hobart to play in the snow Thanks

5 Answers Dec 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    • By car

by fabiano1987 Online Now Mar 24, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I want to travel in Tassie by car, but how can I transport my car from Melbourne to Hobart? And how much is it?

3 Answers Mar 26, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    • volarevolare's Profile Photo

Launceston or Hobart -- where's a good start?

by volarevolare Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Hi there,

Am planning a trip to Tassie in Mar and need some advice.

Possible 6D5N or 7D6N itineraries:

1. Melbourne to Launceston --> Cradle Mountain --> Strahan --> Hobart

or

2. Hobart --> Freycinet --> Launceston

I am travelling with a group of elderly folk in their 60s and some younger people in their 30s.

Would appreciate some recommendations on which is a better itinerary with options to:

a. See beautiful scenery
      b. Taste good food and natural produce
      c. Do a spot of shopping
      d. Soak in some history
      e. Engage in some interesting activities

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help! ;)

smiles,
      Francesca

10 Answers Mar 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    • stanrubin's Profile Photo

New Years

by stanrubin Online Now Aug 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Arriving the 29th of December for four nights. Just reserved a room at Wrest Point Hotel, one of the few available in all of Hobart. I didn't do as much due diligence as usual and wonder if the location is OK and is Hobart as great as billed over new years???

Thanks!!

Stan

4 Answers Aug 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    • clank007's Profile Photo

Bellerive Youth Hostel

by clank007 Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Hi,
      I am planning a remeniscing type trip to Australia and part of that is to return to the stunning town of Hobart in Tasmania.

16 years ago I stayed at the Bellerive YHA on King Street in Bellerive and made very good friends there with the 80 year old manager - Bill Tomlinson.
      He was an ex pat who emmigrated to Australia for £10 in the fifties.

I realise he is likely to have passed away now, but does anyone know if the Youth Hostel is still there as I cant find it online?
      Simon.

2 Answers Jul 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    • Bringing in Fruits

by MIKO02 Online Now Apr 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Will be in Hobart from 12 - 19Nov 2010. Are fruits allowed from the Hobart airport to Melbourne. Need to catch the plane back to Malaysia from Melbourne.

5 Answers Apr 30, 2010 at 2:25 AM
    • RTritz's Profile Photo

Driving around Hobart

by RTritz Online Now Apr 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM

We are planning to be in Hobart for 6 days the middle of May. I booked a hotel in Hobart with the idea that we would use this as a base and travel to sites each day. Bad idea? We are planning on renting a car. Should we rent a car before arriving in Hobart? Should we rent from a national company or local? Suggestions are welcome. We will be in Australia starting May 3 so we could rent a car once we get to Australia if that is a better idea than renting one before we leave home. We are 60 years old and although I love to walk everywhere, my husband doesn't. He's not going to want to trek up mountains or through the wilderness. Any suggestions for what we must see. Thanks.

9 Answers Apr 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    • Hobart in 5 days

by ktluu78 Online Now Oct 10, 2009 at 11:30 PM

hi guys,

I will be traveling to Hobart for 5 nights (24-29 Oct) and looking for advice/suggestions to get the best out of the trip. I have done a bit of research on the internet and there seem to be many things to do in Hobart. How many days do you think i should spend on seeing the city itself? I am thinking of having a look at the Salamacan place, Mt. Wellington, Royal Botanic garden. any other suggestions?

I would really love to visit the Tarhune airwalk, Port Arthur and going on one of the cruises. The problem is i cant rent a car because I havent got a full australian license or equivalent. Is it possible to visit Port Arthur and Tarhune airwalk with public transport / coaches. I did look at the guided tours and they seem a bit pricey.

any advice/ suggestion is very much appreciated.

9 Answers Oct 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    • Travel Time

by gillaputha Online Now Sep 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Hey! Could somebody please tell me how long it takes to travel from Regent St (Sandy Bay) to Moonah by bus? If you can mention a maximum time, it's appreciated! :)

2 Answers Sep 14, 2009 at 11:37 PM
    • Tassie in August

by meru Online Now Jun 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Hi forum

Do you recommend travelling around the east coast or west coast during August? Plan to rent car to travel around but being winter what's the roads condition like? I'll be flying into Hobart midweek and out of Hobart on the weekend.
      Thank you!!

9 Answers Jun 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    • Motorhome Parking

by bjkilburn Online Now Mar 12, 2009 at 4:12 AM

Hi,

we will be visiting Hobart this month in a six berth motorhome. Can anyone advise where to park in the city to enable us to go to Salamnaca Markets?

2 Answers Mar 13, 2009 at 2:18 AM
    • Cruise ships (Celebrity)

by laun45 Online Now Feb 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM

where do the cruise ships come in at?? how far is it fromThe Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre ?? how can u get there?? how long would it take?? and how much?? ty so much appreciate your help. mary

1 Answer Feb 6, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    • adelaidean's Profile Photo

help with itinerary

by adelaidean Online Now Nov 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Hi guys. I have been lurking the net, and found flights to Hobart for22.00.
      I have always wanted to go to Tasmania, but have no idea where to start with our itinerary. We are gone for 7 nights next May...Any help...we will hire a car.

17 Answers Nov 25, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Port Arthur Enquiry

by swdke Online Now Sep 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Hi, I have a question regarding the Port Arthur Gold Pass option. I see that the Gold Pass covers "everything." I only have 1 day, but I am interested in doing everything that the Gold Pass covers.

Here's what the Gold Pass offers per the Port Arthure website:

Access to more than thirty historic buildings, ruins and gardens
      Introduction to Port Arthur walking tou
      Isle of the Dead tour (incorporating a Harbour Cruise)
      Point Puer tour
      Audio tour
      Lunch on-site at the Museum Coffee Shop or Port Café
      Morning and afternoon tea

In order to do all these activities, how many hours do I need to allocate for my one day? Or, what time do I need to arrive, or what is a good time to arrive, to begin seeing/doing all the Gold Pass options, and about what time in the afternoon can I expect to complete my day?

The reason I request this information is because I only have the one day, I like the Gold Pass options, I'll be driving from Hobart, and I need to figure what time I need to depart Hobart, and about what time can I expect to be back at hobart.

Thank you.

3 Answers Oct 3, 2008 at 5:46 AM
    • Tasmania for 6 days

by AskUhor Online Now Sep 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Hi there,

I'm planning to stay 2 nights in Launceston + 3 nights in Hobart visiting the following places:

1) Launceston - take chairlift across Cataract Gorge,
      2) Tamar River
      3) Penny Royal World and the Waverley Woollen Mills.
      4) Cradle Mountain Walk - local tour

5) Hobart - Battery Point, Salamanca Place
      6) Mt Wellington
      7) Cascade Brewery
      8) Derwent River
      9) Cadbury chocolate factory
      10) Huon Valley - Local tour

Is there any local public transporation for backpackers that covers any of the places that I've mentioned? Can I have the exact bus number and link for reference?

Thanks!

5 Answers Sep 20, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    • Cost of Driving in Hobart (round trip)

by SFAZI Online Now Sep 10, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Hihi,

I'll be travelling to Hobart in early Nov 08.
      Intention is to rent a car for 5 days, travelling from Hobart - Freycinet - Launceston - Cradle Mt - Strahan - Hobart. I'm worried about the total cost of petrol. Thinking of renting 1.3-1.5l car.

Could you guys advise of the estimated cost of petrol for the entire round trip?

Any suggestion for car rental companies? I checkout "Budget", Hyundai getz cost about 230+ for 5 days.

Cheers,
      Fazi

2 Answers Sep 19, 2008 at 11:20 PM
    • margsch's Profile Photo

longterm airport parking

by margsch Online Now Jun 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Hi there from South Aus., I will be working in Tasmania for several months but plan on flying back to Adelaide now and then. I have read the website about the airport but am a little confused about booking the car in for longterm, say a week. Can I drive into the undercover capark and just pay when I return for my car or is it necessary to book the car in for that length of time? Is payment on a machine or do you pay a person when departing?

• Traveling To Hobart....

by Wolfette Online Now Jun 14, 2008 at 4:46 AM

Hi

I'm new to these forums so I'm hoping someone from Hobart is reading here.
      I'm traveling to Hobart on the 9th of July, first time visitor, so I will feel like a total tourist...lol.

I am staying at Port Arthur on the first night then heading back to Hobart to spend the last 4 nights in Fern Tree. So I'm wondering how cold does it get in Fern Tree?

I had a lady say that it snows there...Is that true?

And is there any snow on Mt Wellington yet?

Ok back to being a tourist and all, good places to visit?? Any Thoughts?

And nice reasonable places to eat, you know...somewhere where the locals go for a good feed.
      I will have a rental car, so traveling to places is no drama.

Please any comments or suggestions would be great.

Cheers Toni

2 Answers Jun 29, 2008 at 3:53 AM
    • Shuttle to Richmond from Hobart

by nech56 Online Now Jun 2, 2008 at 3:39 AM

How much is the shuttle and how often does it run? Can you get around Hobart easily without a car? If I want to also see muse3ums and the town sites is one day enough? We are coming in winter.

1 Answer Jun 2, 2008 at 6:49 AM
    • margsch's Profile Photo

name of Baker

by margsch Online Now Apr 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Am temporarily working in Tas West Coast and bought some delicious apple spice cake from a caravan stall with German breads and cake at the Salamanca market. The stall is down the far end i.e. facing away from the city centre. Does anyone know who runs this bakery as I would kill for the recipe of the apple cake. They sell it by the piece.

• Re: Accomodations

by lifemoveon Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 2:37 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I have booked a trip to Tasmania from 10th April - 20th April.

Should I book all the accomodations prior to the trip? Would the internet rates be competitive compared to the walk in rates?

I served the net and saw that innkeepers accomodation cost about A$120 per night. Is that the best rates available?

Hope for more advice as I'm traveling on a budget.

Thank you.

Best regards.

4 Answers Mar 1, 2008 at 6:23 AM
    • Re: Questions on trip to Tasmania

by lifemoveon Online Now Feb 27, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Hi all,

Hope to ask some advice from everyone here.

I am planning a trip to Tasmania in April this year. From my internet research, the following is my proposed itinery:

Day 1 – 2
      Hobart
      Mount Wellington
      Salamanca Market

Day 3
      Port Arthur

Day 4
      Cradle Mountain

Day 5
      Strahan
      Gordon River
      Queenstown

Day 6 - 7
      Laucheston

Day 8
      Wine Glass Bay

Day 9
      Back to Hobart

May I ask if the plans above are too ambitious? Or too relaxed? Are there any 'must go' attractions that I missed out?

Would you have any recommended motels to stay at the various locations? Any good restaurants to dine at?

Also, I would like to know if its cheaper to rent a car in Tasmania or Melborne?

Cheers.

5 Answers Mar 3, 2008 at 3:47 AM