Hobart Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

Port Arthur Enquiry

by swdke Online Now Sep 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Hi, I have a question regarding the Port Arthur Gold Pass option. I see that the Gold Pass covers "everything." I only have 1 day, but I am interested in doing everything that the Gold Pass covers.

Here's what the Gold Pass offers per the Port Arthure website:

Access to more than thirty historic buildings, ruins and gardens
Introduction to Port Arthur walking tou
Isle of the Dead tour (incorporating a Harbour Cruise)
Point Puer tour
Audio tour
Lunch on-site at the Museum Coffee Shop or Port Café
Morning and afternoon tea

In order to do all these activities, how many hours do I need to allocate for my one day? Or, what time do I need to arrive, or what is a good time to arrive, to begin seeing/doing all the Gold Pass options, and about what time in the afternoon can I expect to complete my day?

The reason I request this information is because I only have the one day, I like the Gold Pass options, I'll be driving from Hobart, and I need to figure what time I need to depart Hobart, and about what time can I expect to be back at hobart.

Thank you.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Port Arthur Enquiry

by fionasydney Online Now Sep 23, 2008 at 5:51 PM

I'm interested in this info too!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sirgaw's Profile Photo

Re: Port Arthur Enquiry

by sirgaw Online Now Sep 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Its about 10 years since we were at Port Arthur, so I'm a bit out of date.

Not sure of the driving time Hobart/Port Arthur (around 90 kilometres - maybe 90 mi), but when you do, stop at Eaglehawk Neck and see how the area was a natural prison with a very small neck of land protected by guards/dogs.

To do all that is on the gold pass would take more than a day. Depends on your interest in things historical, but there is a lot to see. There are some B&B's in the area and I'd suggest staying 1 night.

To see a contrast between where the cons were housed and the top brass, make sure you get to see the governors residence - that guy lived in style.

We did the harbour tour and that was about 20 minutes, dead island tour would be about 30 minutes (small island).

There is a lot to see at PA and if you can't spend a night there, I'd suggest leaving 90 minutes (or so) before the place opens and stay until it closes and allow 90 minutes or so to get back to Hobart.

• Re: Port Arthur Enquiry

by booker78 Online Now Oct 3, 2008 at 5:46 AM

My wife and I were at Port Arthur 2 years ago. You would be best to be at the gate when the doors open and spend the whole day there, if you do that, you will be able to do everything listed on your Gold Pass. I am pretty sure my wife and I did all that stuff (except the audio tour - we just walked round ourselves) and then we came back for the after dark 'Ghost Tour' which was well worth the wait as well, but no good for you if you dont want to drive back to Hobart in the middle of the night - you might be a little scared from the Ghost tours.

Also, depends why you need to get back to Hobart that day, you could sleep in one of the P.A. b&bs or campsites (we had a campervan) and then drive back to Hobart early in the morning.

Anyway, hope that helps a little bit, enjoy it, its a fun day out with heaps of dark Australian history!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines