Hobart Travel Answers

change location

Cost of Driving in Hobart (round trip)

by SFAZI Online Now Sep 10, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Hihi,

I'll be travelling to Hobart in early Nov 08.
Intention is to rent a car for 5 days, travelling from Hobart - Freycinet - Launceston - Cradle Mt - Strahan - Hobart. I'm worried about the total cost of petrol. Thinking of renting 1.3-1.5l car.

Could you guys advise of the estimated cost of petrol for the entire round trip?

Any suggestion for car rental companies? I checkout "Budget", Hyundai getz cost about 230+ for 5 days.

Cheers,
Fazi

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: Cost of Driving in Hobart (round trip)

by margsch Online Now Sep 10, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Petrol costs approx.1.65 per litre, you won,t go through a great deal, I would estimate150 -200 will be enough for the whole trip. The distances are not huge but do take a lot longer than on the mainland due to the mountainous terrain, e.g. Strahan to Hobart will take approx 5 hours but is only 300 km.
    If you go into google and type in car+rental there are websites that compare all the major rental companies so you can see at a glance how much the rental will be, remember that insurance is extra, approx26 per day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Cost of Driving in Hobart (round trip)

by capavie Online Now Sep 19, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Hi Fazi, I think that entire itinerary will come up to about 1000km of driving. If you rent a 1.5L car, you're probably looking at a fuel consumption of 6.1L/100km. Being conservative, assume it's 7L/100km
    This means you'll use about 70L *1.60/L =112
    So an even safer estimation may be120

www.carhireinsider.com.au/rental-car-models has more information on the fuel consumption of different sizes of rental cars.. the site also has other tips you might find useful

Try www.vroomvroomvrom.com.au which represents Budget, Avis, Hertz, etc. You can find something much less than230... probably about180 for 5 days

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines