Hobart Travel Answers

change location

Traveling To Hobart....

by Wolfette Online Now Jun 14, 2008 at 4:46 AM

Hi

I'm new to these forums so I'm hoping someone from Hobart is reading here.
I'm traveling to Hobart on the 9th of July, first time visitor, so I will feel like a total tourist...lol.

I am staying at Port Arthur on the first night then heading back to Hobart to spend the last 4 nights in Fern Tree. So I'm wondering how cold does it get in Fern Tree?

I had a lady say that it snows there...Is that true?

And is there any snow on Mt Wellington yet?

Ok back to being a tourist and all, good places to visit?? Any Thoughts?

And nice reasonable places to eat, you know...somewhere where the locals go for a good feed.
I will have a rental car, so traveling to places is no drama.

Please any comments or suggestions would be great.

Cheers Toni

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling To Hobart....

by margsch Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM

I was working in Tasmania until 4 weeks ago but am not a Taswegian - however be prepared for very cold weather, it snowed on Mt Wellington in February!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Traveling To Hobart....

by AussieTravellers Online Now Jun 29, 2008 at 3:53 AM

We are not Tassie natives either but have visited. We were in Hobart for several days in December 2006 and it was quite cold the whole time with a fierce wind blowing one day.

It was freezing the day we visited Mt Wellington and there were lots of patches of snow - keep in mind that December is summer in Oz (not sure where you are from). It's winter now so make sure you have plenty of warm clothes, especially a thick jacket or coat and gloves and a woolly hat for Mt W.

As for things to see/do, it probably depends on whether you have children with you and where your interests lie. Kids (big and small) might like a visit to the Cadbury factory.
    There are several walks which start at various locations along the road to Mt Wellington if you plan on going up there.
    We enjoyed a cruise on the Derwent River although that was the really windy day and there actually small waves on it. Salamanca Place is interesting from an historical perspective (although touristy) and there are markets there every Saturday.

North Hobart has a large variety of restaurants. The city centre is quite compact and easy to get around. Also, traffic is quite light compared to the mainland capital cities.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines