Ho Chi Minh City Travel Answers

change location
Juspa67's Profile Photo

Good tailor in Saigon

by Juspa67 Online Now Dec 16, 2005 at 1:02 AM

I'm going to Ho Chi Minh City on 10th of March for 7 nights. I'm looking a good tailor, who can make men's suits and shirts with reasonable prices. Do I have to have pictures of suit types I want to have? Of cource I need good shopping tips too. Are there for example MP3-players in good price? What about Playstion Portables?

And then what are the best places to spend your evenings? Good tips, please.

THANK YOU!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • KhanhLy's Profile Photo

RE: Good tailor in Saigon

by KhanhLy Online Now Dec 17, 2005 at 10:36 PM

If you are going to Hoi An, they can make your suit in a few hours, but in HCMC, it could take up to a week. If you have something specific in mind, bring a picture of the suit, if not, most tailors will have sample display in their store. I'm afraid that the tailor that I used in HCMC have moved. I had my dresses made just by sending the fabrics and measurements with my mother and the clothes fit perfect!
    Don't buy clothes for family and friends because the sizes are much smaller. Knock-off designer stuff doesn't hold up really well, but the Vietnam's brand name shoes are excellent. Biti's shoes is one of the brand I can think of. Excellent and comfortable shoes. Also, you can buy nice leather men dress shoes in Vietnam for killer price! They were all too trendy to buy for my husband. Women's fashion shoes that sold between 5 to 10USD did not hold up well.
    Prices for electronic items in Vietnam are not competitive. However, the game disks over there are copies and they are cheap. BEWARE - some of them may not work on your machine when you get them home. I've had good luck with the Gameboy Advance games, but I heard from a friend that the Playstation 2 games bought in Vietnam will only work with a special card in it.
    If you're a backpacker, North Face backpacks have great prices over there. I don't know how long they held up, but my brother bought one and it held up for the duration of his trip of a month.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HienVN's Profile Photo

by HienVN Online Now Dec 24, 2005 at 2:38 AM

A great place for buying winter clothes and backpacks is Saigon Square on Hai Ba Trung Street. There are many stuff at this area with very cheap price. We, Vietnamese often come here to buy many things. You also can buy DVDs at this place.

Evenings? I think Allez Boo Bar at Pham Ngu Lao Street (backpackers' area) is a good place.

Not sure about tailors for men's suits. One of my friend's relative is a good tailor, but I am not sure about the cost, however, it is not cheap. I have to ask my friend anyway.

Cheers

• RE: RE: Good tailor in Saigon

by le6ha2 Online Now Dec 24, 2005 at 10:13 AM

You can visit here: http://www.aodaivinh.com and place an order online.

• Juspa67's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Good tailor in Saigon

by Juspa67 Online Now Dec 28, 2005 at 1:30 AM

Thanks for the tips. If you get the prices for the tailor made men's suits, it would be nice to know... Greetings from cold Finland. Jukka

• bcnguyen's Profile Photo

by bcnguyen Online Now Jan 4, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Suit....no idea... there are a lot. 1 st have a lot of those tailor sho pbut more exensive compare to others. work shirt can be purchase in a store called An Phuoc....they are known for their quality.

electronic can be purcahse in major shopping center or cheaper at store on a electronic block some where (i'm not sure) behinds the Tax shopping center....you can also find electronic stuff at cho lon (Chinatown)...but those place are pretty hard to find.... at least for me.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ho Chi Minh City