Ho Chi Minh City Travel Answers

change location
smilysky's Profile Photo

travelling to ho chi minh alone

by smilysky Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM

hi. i am planning of travelling to ho chi minh (saigon) on april 3 onwards alone for the first time . Is it safe to travel on that city and what are the best spot or places to visit for a 3 day visit. I will appreciate any answers.

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Linhnau's Profile Photo

Re: travelling to ho chi minh alone

by Linhnau Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

First day, you can go around HCMC to visit the War remnants museum, Independence Palace and French architecture such as the Saigon central post office, Duc Ba church,... Then you can try delicious local food around Ben Thanh market. You can see the overview of Ho Chi Minh City at night from Bitexco Financial building ( at 178 metres, 49 floors), the price of ticket is 200.000 VND (about 10USD). Next day, you should book tour to vist Cu Chi tunnals and Cao Dai temple for one day, it's around 11-13USD. In third day, you can visit Giac Lam pagoda (or Vinh Nghiem pagoda, Xa Loi pagoda), Chinese Market (Cho Lon market); but if you want to buy souvenir you should go to Ben Thanh market.
    Wish you have a nice trip.
    Linh

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM

It's a safe place in general.
    I can see that you are from the Philippines and Ho Chi Minh City is a much safer city than Manila for instance.

And i would say that you should take a little city tour visiting places like the big red cathedra, the post office and the reunification palace which are all right in the center.

And then a trip to the Cu Chi tunnels and the Mekong delta are a good idea after that.

1 member found this helpful

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Hi Ann, you should be quite safe in Saigon, and as previously said it is a much safer place than Manila. I would take a day trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels and Coa Dai Temple, which you can arrange for around $15 through Sinh Cafe as a previous poster Haydee from the Philippines informed us a few days ago. You may spend morning and early afternoon visiting a few of the museums, mostly war-related while you are there, as well as the cathedral and market. And after that i suggest you take an afternoon bus to Cantho, spend the night there and jump out of bed at the crack of dawn (5am) and catch the market on the river. That should keep you busy for the three days and you will get a good taste of the country

Be the first to rate this answer!

• smilysky's Profile Photo

by smilysky Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM

thank you linhnau for a very detailed information it helps alot.. i am looking forward for my next adventure in saigon..

• smilysky's Profile Photo

by smilysky Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM

thanks everyone..:)

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Not sure where you are staying in the city, but on the whole, the city is quite safe. Not sure what you mean by onward from there? Do you mean to stay in Vietnam?

I agree that the Mekong one day trip is really nice and you get to see a lot of countryside.

Pretty much the others have given you great advise while in the city.

As far as food, that depends on what you like, but of course you must try PHO.

One word of caution, be very careful while out and about with things like IPOD's, phones and laptops and of course shoulder purses. There have been an upswing of thefts of those types of items. Just be protective of those items and never leave them and you should be fine.

Check out the travel pages, tips and forum Q & A for advise and suggestions.

Enjoy David

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

by jumpingnorman Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM

enjoyed our visit to HCMC - we did not encounter any problems except that when I went out of hotel on my own, a stranger would ask me if I would like a "girl". Other than that, it was safe for me to walk around - I am an Asian male and so blended in easily but when I come out of hotel, they know I am foreign. Visit the Cu chi tunnels - I just booked a trip to it through Expedia or maybe Viator might have it too :)

• Re: travelling to ho chi minh alone

by Meeriah Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM

You also might want to consider Hoang Hai Long 2 for your hotel accomodation. It's pretty close to Ben Thanh Market (walking distance). I'm sure there are lots of hotels in the central, we stayed in this hotel and we were very satisfied during our stay.

• paradise153's Profile Photo

by paradise153 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM

If you want to visit places such as the Cu Chi Tunnels, mekong, or city tour (visit the museum, the temples here ... then you can contact me. I will arrange to take you to points as above.
    For more information please contact me via email: luanphunglan@ymail.com

• haiauchamchi's Profile Photo

by haiauchamchi Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM

smilysky wrote: hi. i am planning of travelling to ho chi minh (saigon) on april 3 onwards alone for the first time . Is it safe to travel on that city and what are the best spot or places to visit for a 3 day visit. I will appreciate any answers.

Vietnam is a friendly country, so when traveling you complete peace of mind. however, you should pay attention to traffic. I have not been much in Saigon, but I know there is a very interesting neighborhood (you refer to here: aroundvn.com/2013/03/the-nei... )

It is a multinational town :) hope you will like it Good luck

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Vietnam is a safe city and there will be plenty to do when you get there. First off, if you never been there, you will be overwhelm it the culture and traffic When you leave the airport look for a white or green cab with name of VINISUN OR MAELEE check the VT pages on the reasons why people in Vietnam prefer these cabs. The rooms are inexpensive and the tours can be found at any one of the many tour agency. There are many other expats along backpackers alley where you will enjoy each others company. Make plans for the next few days or just chill.

cheers tommy x

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

does anyone else lose their post? I have been losing my content on several threads after I posted. I just wonder if anyone else have the save problem?

• Re: travelling to ho chi minh alone

by blackwolf94 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I recommend not bringing any expensive stuffs or purses, put all your stuffs in the back pack, make a copy of your passport and bring it with you when going out, avoid going to crowded places because that are where pickpockets blend in and do their work. Another advice is to be aware of fake taxi brands, only get on the cab if it has either Vinasun logo or Mai Linh logo.

• NitNoy's Profile Photo

by NitNoy Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Don't bring any expensive stuff?? So I should just leave my camera and iPhone at home?? Nonsense.

It's a bit tough to avoid crowded places in Saigon. Just use common sense and you'll be OK.

If you to take a taxi, I recommend having the doorman at one of the cities 5 star hotels get one for you. They will give you a sheet of paper with the cab name and number for reference.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ho Chi Minh City