Ho Chi Minh City Travel Answers

change location

HCM help

by frompy Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Hi traveling to HCM mid September for 4 nights. Our family consists of 3 adults and 2 kids. Wanting to stay in district 1 in a hotel with pool. Happy with family room or 2 interconnecting however only wanting to pay up to $130 per night, have heard this is possible so any suggestions would be great. Also advice on shopping please. The girls love the LV etc rip offs and will be seeking tees, bags, clothing , shoes etc. Wondering what prices to pay and where best to shop for these. Also wanting tailor to have mens woolen dress pants made. Finally, what prices for meals etc should we expect to apy. Sorry for all the questions. We frequent Bali annually but first time to HCM.

Thank you for your reply in anticipation.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: HCM help

by LowCostatAllCosts Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Hi there! I've stayed at the New World Saigon before, and it was fantastic--has a pool and is in a great location, but it seems to be a bit out of your price range: prontohotel.com/vnm/ho_chi_m....

My next recommendation would be to check out the Tan Hai 4 (prontohotel.com/vnm/%90a_kao... and Liberty Central.

As for food, it depends on what meal and in what kinds of palces you'll be eating. Street food, fancy dinners?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: HCM help

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I have stayed many times at the Kim Do Hotel which is smack in the center next to the old french city hall and the Rex Hotel.
    That Hotel should be roughly in your price range and they have a pool, but be ware that it's a fairly small indoor pool.
    It has a fantastic location though and is 7-8 minutes walk from the big market.
    I am actually staying there right now myself and i have a few thoughts about the place on this link:

"Good hotel in a perfect location." - Kimdo Royal City Hotel Tip by cachaseiro

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM

There are many hotels within the price range if you forget about the pool. If you get one with a pool, most likely it has to be a resort type property that takes up a block, and most are roof top like the REX Hotel. Check Agoda and you might like the Palace Hotel or may Hotel. Shopping can be cheap but I always thought my haggle price was cheap, but go around the corner and it is cheaper. Just go into the Ben Thanh Market and stick to a price you think is cheap and haggle away. Wool pants can be made there too in 24/hrs and I would not pay over 20 usd a pair. On your first day, just haggle the prices and wait till you last day and buy the stuff knowing the prices you want to pay and haggle down. Everything is negotiable. Eatting out there is cheap to me and had great food, but you have to pick and choose the spots. I like chinese food and Pho, and had no problem finding it. You have to go to the new VINCOM CENTER, it's like a great shopping mall across from the Opera House and on the ground floor has all the great franchise foods and good food in general to choose from. Read the many VT pages on tips about the TAXI before you get on board...they have many on food as well. First day you will be overwhelm with the traffic and make sure you go to back packers alley. If you ever go to Thailand for a shopping spree, I think they have better goods. Enjoy Vietnam and thanks for the tips. cheers tommy x

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM

For shopping and restaurant tips, you can check my HCMC page. I am sure it will be helpful.
    "A dynamic city" - Ho Chi Minh City by muratkorman

• NitNoy's Profile Photo

by NitNoy Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Check out the Victory Hotel. It has a nice, outdoor pool and is in a good central location in D1.

victoryhotel.com.vn/en-us/zo...

• Re: HCM help

by Mog11y Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Have a look at Liberty Central. Is in District 1 and right next to the Ben Thanh markets where the ladies can shop to their hearts content. Also very close to modern shopping centres. It has a small roof top pool which would be great for you. Not as lavish as the Rex but definately in your price range. great night views. We walked to the Reunification Palace and the War Remnants museum from here - bit of a hike but doable and not to be missed. Meals are so cheap. 2 whole snapper BBQ'd in front of you at the night markets in front of Ben Thanh cost from memory $5aud each.... street food the best of all - safe as long as cooked fresh & cheap. Have a great time - I loved it so much in 2012 that I go back in 5 weeks.

• paradise153's Profile Photo

by paradise153 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Do you want to join our city tour please contact us so we can help you arrange a tour is appropriate.
    Places to visit include: War Remnants Museum, Independence Palace and French architecture such as the Saigon central post office, Duc Ba church, Cu Chi tunnals, Mekong delta...
    Wish you have a nice trip!
    Lan
    luanphunglan@ymail.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ho Chi Minh City