Ho Chi Minh City Travel Answers

change location

travel

by Karonsagg Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I am going with my Vietnamese wife to live there for a while... what shots should I have and what do I do if I get hurt or sick?

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

go to a clinic if you are sick, but the only shots I might get is a hepititis shot. Depend if you live in the country and city also. Dung fever is around in the country. Best to ask your doctor, where you live now . tell them where you are going and ask what shots he reccomends and what is manditory.Check your own insurance and see what is covered and what is not when you travel there and long stay. I hope that you do not get hurt or sick there because Vietnam hospitables are still third world, but getting better equip. Enclose is a picture of a clinic and the prices they charge for check ups and test. They are really cheap compare to USA. You must click the picture to enlarge the photo to really see this. Anyway, when you get there and going to stay there for a while, hook up with other expats and note and jot down medical facilities where you might need to go. that is why I got those pictures anyhow . cheers tommy x

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: travel

by xymmot Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Tha'ts a really vague question.

Not sure what country you are coming from, but first I would check with my doctor and insurance carrier.

While there is no requirement for Americans to get any shots before they travel to Vietnam, there are shots that are recommended, especially if you are in the countryside.

You can check with the CDC and WHO websites for more information on diseases and shots.

You did not say where in Vietnam you are staying, but here is the website for doctors and hospitals in HCMC, provided by the US Consulate.

photos.state.gov/libraries/h...

According to my wife who is VN, you can also purchase medical insurance, but I am not familiar with obtaining the coverage.

Good luck

2 members found this helpful

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

If you get sick, maybe the best idea is to ask in your country's embassy about the doctor they recommend? Vietnamese hospitals, as xymmot said, are in quite bad conditions (poorly equiped and overcrowded).

It is good to do Hepatitis A and B injections before any exotic journey. The rest is specified by the region. Ask your doctor about malaria too.

• bcatton's Profile Photo

by bcatton Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Hep A, Hep B, few others also, if you live in the UK your local GP will be able to inform you as to which are required. You can also have a 'booster shot' about 3 months after the initial ones, this will cover you for a period of 10 years (instead of just the single year).

Regarding the comment above about Vietnamese hospitals, this is correct when talking about public hospitals but INCORRECT regarding Vietnamese private hospitals. (My wife is also Vietnamese and my daughter was born in Hanh Phuc private hospital).

• bcatton's Profile Photo

by bcatton Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Malaria tablets are NOT neccessary unless you plan on going somewhere like the Mekong region, if you are mostly sticking to cities there is no need to take them. (Been to Vietnam 15 times, wife is Vietnamese and own a house in HCMC, so i should know).

• Re: travel

by Karonsagg Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Sorry... I should have said... leaving Florida to go and live in Ho Chi Minh City. I am half Vietnamese... my Dad is from Saigon / countryside. He married an American Army Brat and now lives in Florida.

• mikeinvietnam's Profile Photo

by mikeinvietnam Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

If you head to Saigon you will find a couple western hospitals or clinics. I've lived here in Saigon for over six years now and I use the Family Practice Clinic located in the Diamond Plaza in district 1 in Saigon. It's managed by a Singapore hospital and staffed mostly by western doctors. I've had a few emergencies and trust them completely. I don't have any medical insurance but they do take insurance. I'm not sure if you have to pay first and then get reimbursed from your insurance company. Just mention Diamond Plaza to a taxi driver and they will get you to Diamond Plaza. The Family Practice medical facility entrance is at the rear of the building. There are other similar places, such as Columbia Medical Clinic.

I would use Family Practice as a first step for emergency treatment and diagnosis. They can advice you on diagnosis and treatment, or if you should go to Thailand or Singapore for something more serious.

by martensd Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

So then I assume you carry an american passport and as such you understand about obtaining your visa.

Here is the website for the U.S.Consulate in VN, which can give you some more information about a variety of subjects.

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/

Like Tommy and Brian said, consider Hep. shots,, but really check with your own doctor who knows your medical history.

And again it will depend on where you plan to spend most of your time. Consider malaria treatment if you plan on being in the delta.

At least coming from Florida you will be acclimated to the hot weather.

David

by Karonsagg Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM

awesome info. thanks so much... How do you keep in touch with family while you are in Vietnam? My Mom is freaking out. I am the youngest of 4 sons... which doesn't help much either. :)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Karonsagg wrote:
    awesome info. thanks so much... How do you keep in touch with family while you are in Vietnam? My Mom is freaking out. I am the youngest of 4 sons... which doesn't help much either. :)

get skype and talk to each other all day for free.  Set your mom up with a new lap top and you should have one also and get open two seperate account.  Talk to each other for free, or you can buy each other I pad and do face time with each other for free and add skype to the plan.

cheers tommy x

• royalempress's Profile Photo

by royalempress Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We are going to Thailand soon and the travel clinic recommended A and B plus a typhoid shot.

• mikeinvietnam's Profile Photo

by mikeinvietnam Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM

There are many Internet rooms around Saigon and even in the countryside. You can simply stay in touch through email and also have a plan for direct chats or video conferencing. BTW, This is a fairly safe country for foreigners. No place is completely safe, even in America. Here, you can face purse snatching, camera theft and pickpockets. Sometimes they are quite violent in their efforts but that's anywhere in the world. Take normal precautions as you would anywhere else. It happens. Don't flaunt your property or wear watches and other jewelry. The favorite method of criminals is to have two men on motorbikes to come up behind you and one will jump off and cut the strap of a purse or camera bag and jump back on the bike. They may even kick you to throw you off balance while they get away. But I've been here for so many years and have been lucky only to have had two phones stolen right out of my pocket. Police retrieved one of them and found me to give it back. That was a big surprise. Hide in a corner somewhere when using a phone, never out in the open on the street where it can be grabbed from your ear. It's mostly during festivals and crowded shows where pickpockets thrive.

by Karonsagg Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:34 AM

this info is so helpful... big thank you to all. Karonsagg is Mom's handle--- as she signed on for me to ask questions. My name is Jen Nam Nguyen... 24 yr. old male. I've been to Vietnam x2... once to meet my father's family and the second time was for a wedding... my brother Jason met Trang Dang on the first visit and married her 2 years later... they have a daughter now and live here in Florida. My fiance has lived here in the US since she was 16... now 21 and just finished college. We will marry here and then we will leave for Vietnam to live. I'm sure a visit is much different than taking up residence. Trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. ;)

1 member found this helpful

by Karonsagg Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Correction... :) she is 22.

• royalempress's Profile Photo

by royalempress Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Keep under stating her age and you will have a very happy and long lived marriage.

by martensd Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Congratulations, hope it all works out for you. I guess you will be living in HCMC? How long do you plan on staying? Do you have work?

Mike is right on about the problem in VN with the thefts. I just watched a video about a guy walking into a shop and taking the laptop right off the desk and running out. All filmed on the shops video camera. Also recently there was a Russian guy in Nha Trang that was cut up when he chased down a VN that stole his tourist clients purse.

That is not to say that the place is overrun by this kind of action, but I am sure everyone that has been going there for a number of years has see the difference. There is more money in Vietnam now and from what I understand the cost of food and other things have gone up. Thus an increase in criminal activity.

Common sense prevails, do not walk around with cameras on your neck, purses hanging off your shoulder. Put your phone and money in a pocket with button or velcro fastened. Protect your passport!

As far as staying in touch, not much more to say as everything said is correct. My wife also gets phone minutes, which she uses to talk to her parents in VN, here is a website:

http://vienlien247.com/vi/

Let us know if we can help with any other questions.

by Karonsagg Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM

LOL... right you are.

• NitNoy's Profile Photo

by NitNoy Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

If you haven't already done so, you should apply for the 5 Year Vietnam Visa Expemption. This will allow you multiple entries in an out of Vietnam for 5 years (the other good thing is all you need to do to get another 5 year exemption is show them your old one). The only issue, is you're only allowed to stay 90 days at a time. All you'll need to do is cross the border into Cambodia, then your 90 days will start all over again. Much better than the hassle of having to extend your Visa and then get new ones after you can't extend any more. The cost is $60 (you'll spend more than that on 1 30 day Visa) and takes anywhere from 3-7 days to receive it if you're approved. Details on how to do this are below.

http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/

saigoninacup.com/2010/03/25/...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ho Chi Minh City