Hilton Head Island Travel Answers

change location
sgoet's Profile Photo

Any Events Scheduled for First Week of March?

by sgoet Online Now Jan 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM

We are flying in the HH Airport at about 11 PM on March 4 for a week. I'm presuming they have taxi service. We are hoping not everything is closed down for the winter. Are there any events on or around the Island during that week? We would like to take a day trip to Savannah. If you had to choose between Beaufort and Charleston for a day trip, which would you pick? (We like Civil War history) The rest of the time we would like to stay on the island to ride bikes, kayak, hike.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • sgoet's Profile Photo

RE: Any Events Scheduled for First Week of March?

by sgoet Online Now Mar 25, 2006 at 7:04 PM

I will answer may own question, as I have now returned from my visit. The airport does have taxi service. Fares are reasonable and a fixed price to certain destinations/zones of the island. The only event of note is the Annual Winefest, which is the biggest outdoor tented wine tasting on the east coast. This event was on our last day of the visit - over 1000 wines. Other than that, the Island was pretty quiet. Later in the month there are other events in an around Hilton Head. The nation's 2nd largest St. Pat's celebration is in Savannah (who would have guessed?). The Savannah Music Festival begins March 17. There are also some home tours in H.H. and of historic homes in Savannah in the last week of March. Savannah is a 45 minute drive (off-peak) and one of the most beautiful cities to walk around in that I have ever visited. We rode bikes, hiked, fished (too early to catch anything from shore) and kayaked, so we didn't have time for any other off-island day trips. We ate alot. The best key-lime pie was at a little cafe in Shelter Cove marina (Parrot's Cove Cafe). Best all around meal (value and food) was at Il Carpaccio at Pineland Station Shopping Center. We will definitely return to Hilton Head for another stay - we were very impressed.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines