change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kc4ness's Profile Photo

Place to live?

by kc4ness Online Now Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am visiting here in May to explore the possibility of living there permanently for a few years. I know there is more rain on this side of the island and it is windier also danger of tsunamis. From my research I believe that the rain is mainly in the late night hours and early morning. Is this mostly true? I know apartment rentals are also less pricey than the western side. I would appreciate any and all input, thoughts and ideas. I will also be checking out the western side.
      Thank you,
      Ken

more
    • Kona/Hilo, Hawaii

by candytaylo Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if I"m able to fit all of this in, in one day. I'll be staying in Kona but would like to drive the Hamakua Coast, 4 mile scenic route and see Akaka Falls. I also would like to see Hiilawe Falls and Waipi'o Valley. Last stop would be Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Black Sand Beach. I know it's 2 hr drive from Kona to Hilo. Any information would be great.

more
    • kc4ness's Profile Photo

Place to live?

by kc4ness Online Now Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am visiting here in May to explore the possibility of living there permanently for a few years. I know there is more rain on this side of the island and it is windier also danger of tsunamis. From my research I believe that the rain is mainly in the late night hours and early morning. Is this mostly true? I know apartment rentals are also less pricey than the western side. I would appreciate any and all input, thoughts and ideas. I will also be checking out the western side.
      Thank you,
      Ken

2 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    • Kona/Hilo, Hawaii

by candytaylo Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if I"m able to fit all of this in, in one day. I'll be staying in Kona but would like to drive the Hamakua Coast, 4 mile scenic route and see Akaka Falls. I also would like to see Hiilawe Falls and Waipi'o Valley. Last stop would be Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Black Sand Beach. I know it's 2 hr drive from Kona to Hilo. Any information would be great.

6 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 2:39 AM
    • Saar123's Profile Photo

Budget place to stay in Hilo

by Saar123 Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Hi,

I (37 years old, single traveler) will be traveling to Hilo in May. I am looking for a nice budget (no hostel) place to stay.
      Can anyone recommend me?

Thanks!!

3 Answers Mar 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM
    • help me please!

by kenay.dk Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hello everybody. I´m Kenay from Colombia. I was looking for images of places to live and I found a suitable place. can someone helping me to know which activities people do in Hilo- Hawaii? and some information about economy, weather, universties, whatever information necesary to live there. thanks so much for your answers.

2 Answers Nov 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    • A email address for the zales jewellers shop in Hilo

by Annahoneilshaw Online Now May 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hi I am needing to contact someone one from the Zales jewellers shop there in Hilo. Email would be ideal as I'm from Australia and its easies to contact that way. If someone could help me out that would be amazing!!! Thank you so much Annah

4 Answers Jun 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    • Bus tours $ ?

by bellefontaine3738 Online Now Apr 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I will be there in June 2013. I want to do my itineray with price of all activities. I want to do something everyday.

2 Answers May 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    • Road from Kona to Hilo

by bopatski Online Now Apr 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

How good is the road from Kona to Hilo. It looks like a 3 hour drive time. I am flying to Kauai and can save money if I fly from Hilo. Is it worth the savings. Flights are $20 more and there is a $60 drop charge for the car. should I suck up the expense or drive to Hilo

5 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    • anyone Arriving in Hilo on 2 Jun (Saturday)? Share cab ride to Mooheau Bus Terminal?

by yarndee Online Now May 27, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Wanna share a cab ride to the Mooheau Bus Terminal (on the bay front), anyone?

I'm arriving in Hilo through a domestic flight from Honolulu, Oahu @ 02:40pm. Need to catch the bus @ 4:00pm (or 7:30pm).

Send me an email if you wanna share a cab ride :)

My email is christina.hm.chan@gmail.com

• Taxi Tours from Hilo Cruise Ship Terminal

by edmoss Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Looking to possibly hiring a taxi at the cruise ship terminal to take us on a days tour. Does anyone know what they charge and if they did it would you recommend doing it to save time as opposed to renting a car (which you lose time when having to pick it up and drop it off at the airport. We are only in port from 8-5.
      Thanks

1 Answer Feb 14, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    • Working in Hilo

by stray123 Online Now Sep 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I'm thinking of taking a contract job in Hilo. From what I've read so far , I'm starting to re-think this. I'll be there at least 13 wks, alone. My question is , will I be safe? Are the residents as unfriendly as I've been reading? Will I be able to find an apt? Thank you for any input.

4 Answers May 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    • $99 helicopter ride

by PatsWWTravel Online Now May 30, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Somebody mentioned99 helicopter ride, which company is that? I cannot find anywhere a helicopter ride for99.

Also, we are on big island for 8 days, what activities can you suggest? We will be in Hilton Village.

3 Answers Feb 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    • black sand beach and volcanoe in a day

by TatianaG Online Now Mar 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Hi,

I'm travelling to Hawaii by myself and I'll be flying into Hilo for 12 hours next Monday (3/15/10). I want to see a black-sand beach and a volcanoe. I'd rather not be herded along with an over-priced large tour group. Any suggestions on a good way to get around or what to see? I've heard sunset over the volcanoe is beautiful.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

4 Answers Mar 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    • Share a Driver in Hawaii

by jdgebutch Online Now Dec 27, 2009 at 1:36 PM

My wife and I are visiting Hilo on Feb 5th via a Princes Cruise Ship and wish to share a driver to see the island. Anyone interested?/

1 Answer Dec 27, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    • Car Rental choices

by mavrtt Online Now Oct 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM

The prices for car rental were the same between Dollar and Thrifty.

Any reason to pick one over the other?

3 Answers Oct 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    • tours in Hilo

by onthego43 Online Now Aug 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM

We are on a cruise that will dock in Hilo Oct 1 from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm. Are there tours at that time that we can take? Any independent tours available at dock?

3 Answers Aug 30, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    • travel from maui to hilo

by cressidacrossley Online Now May 12, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Hi we are a family of 7 travelling to Maui in July. can we take a boat from Maui to Hilo or must we fly? Can we fly direct or do we need to go back to Honolulu? thnaks cressida

1 Answer May 13, 2007 at 2:28 AM
    • What is the weather like now?

by kirtchik Online Now Mar 9, 2007 at 1:34 AM

I have a question for people who are in Hawaii now:)

We are going on a cruise around the islands on March 19th and when I look on weather forecast it says rain every single day for every island!!!

Is it really true, is it raining every day now? I thought Hawaii was supposed to be good weather:(

Thanks!

1 Answer Mar 9, 2007 at 2:04 AM
    • Helicopter over live volcano

by fluroyellow Online Now Dec 12, 2006 at 7:43 PM

Hi
      Im looking to reserve sonthing online for a helicopter tour over on eof the live volcanoes while in hilo. Any reccomnedations.
      we will be coming via cruise so may have to be an afternoon one. looking at a cheaper one. any websites or suggestions would be greatlyu appreciated

1 Answer Dec 15, 2006 at 1:16 AM
    • transfering to hilo

by vary Online Now Oct 24, 2006 at 9:24 PM

I am considering moving to Hilo to transfer into University of Hawaii's pharmacy program, does anyonego to this college? Do you like it? how is there pre-pharmacy program?I am thinking about moving there permanently, has anyone else made the relocation? How is the cost of living, is there primarily students or is it like living in a small town? big city? Is it a car town or is everything walking/taxi distance? I would appreciate any info, thanx.

1 Answer Nov 2, 2006 at 2:59 PM
    • toontraveller's Profile Photo

Visiting the observatories

by toontraveller Online Now Oct 15, 2006 at 6:14 PM

Can anyone tell me if a 4x4 vehicle is really needed to go up to the observatories in November? Please bear in mind I am from the UK and we drive in the snow whenever it takes our fancy, we don't have much choice *(:¬>
      Also, how long does it take roughly from Hilo to the summit?
      Thanks
      Aloha
      Richard

4 Answers Nov 13, 2006 at 4:18 PM
    • THANK YOU!!!

by ifeelhappy Online Now Nov 27, 2005 at 4:43 PM

Wow, thanks for all the details guys, I really appretiate it! A friend of mine has suggested a trip that way to check out the area first hand ( mostly I think because he needs a vacation, but it's always fun to have someone to talk to on long trips) It sounds like a good idea to me. So, what would be a good time of year to check it out? By "good time of year" I mean what is the non-touristy season, I'd like to avoid anything supercrowded, if possible. Also, any good places to stay? I found a place online called Arnott's Lodge, looks to be right up my alley. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks again! -Maggie

3 Answers Dec 31, 2006 at 4:26 PM
    • Am I Crazy?

by ifeelhappy Online Now Nov 20, 2005 at 4:40 PM

Dear Residents of Hilo and the Big Island,

I desperatley need your help! I am planning a move to Hilo in the next year or two for school. My friends and family all think I'm nuts, but I can't very well study Marine Sciences in Iowa. I have a lot of questions for you and would greatly appretiate any info you would lend me. Is the job market really as tight as everyone says? I'm not looking for anything professional, most of my job history is in the food service industry, although I am currently a bartender. What about the cost of living? Will I be able to work and go to school and still feed myself? I would also appretiate any information about Hilo neighborhoods. It's not that I don't like to have fun, but I am a quiet, serious student and don't want to end up living in a "party zone" packed with freshmen who live off campus. I'm in one now and it just isn't working out.(no offence to any younger students who might be reading this)

Oh, I also hear it rains a lot. What is a lot? Several times a day, all day 4 or 5 times a week, 24-7 all year? Is it heavy rain, light drizzle, outright downpour? I've also heard that Hawaiian residents don't like "mainlanders", or is that a tale to scare me into not moving? I find this hard to believe, I've traveled a lot and have heard the same thing about "Americans" and have never had a bad experience.

I do have more questions, but this is already longer than I intended. Thanks to all who read this and take the time to help me out! -Maggie

10 Answers Aug 26, 2006 at 10:07 PM
    • yard_dog's Profile Photo

Kapoho Tide Pools

by yard_dog Online Now Oct 10, 2005 at 2:18 PM

My family and friends are visiting Hilo in December and staying in home in Kapoho... we were planning on doing some snorkeling while there. I noticed a posting on Fodors online Forum that bothered me regarding sewage in the Tide Pools at this link:

fodors.com/forums/threadsele...

Does anyone know if there is any validity to these statements? Much appreciated!

2 Answers Oct 24, 2005 at 7:41 PM
    • moving to hilo...looking for a place to do ceramics

by searhing4ceramics Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 6:46 PM

I am looking into moving to Hilo in the next year or so and am searching for a place to fire my ceramic art work while I am there. If anyone has any tips about this or any thoughts about Hilo's art scene or lack there of, please let me know!! I would like to continue working in my field while I am there.

1 Answer Oct 5, 2005 at 1:59 AM
    • Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

by SpainPortugal Online Now Aug 9, 2005 at 4:55 PM

I'll be spending the first few days of my honeymoon on Hilo. Is Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel a good hotel and location?

6 Answers Aug 15, 2005 at 1:38 PM
    • hilobound's Profile Photo

work for artists in HIlo?

by hilobound Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 1:12 PM

Question

I am attempting to move to hilo in the spring/early summer 2006. I am starting now to look for jobs because I heard it can be difficult if you wait untill you get there. Does any body know about opportunities for art making/ teaching in or near Hilo? I am also interested in out door occupations such as wild life coservation or nursery work. Any information would be helpful.
      Thanks
      Simon Gentry

• Hilo to Hana

by SpainPortugal Online Now Jul 20, 2005 at 1:26 PM

Are there any flights from Hilo to Hana?
      What is there to do on Big Island other than the active volcano?
      I heard there's a green sand beach on Big Island. Does anyone know where exactly it is?
      I will only be there for 1 or 2 days and would like to maximize my time.

Thanks!

1 Answer Jul 24, 2005 at 3:02 AM
    • Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM

I know that the Bayfront used to kind of be "Little Tokyo" until it got wiped out (twice!) by gigantic tsunamis. Now it's mostly just a park, right? Although there is a breakwater installed (would that really stop a tsunami of that size?). So... Where is Little Tokyo now? Or have the Japanese sufficiently been integrated into the population that a Little Tokyo does not exist? Is there any place at all where Japanese-speakers (perhaps elderly Japanese) hang out? Is there a specific bar, perhaps, where Japanese chill? Just wondering if anyone had noticed. I think it would be fun to check out, sing karaoke at, and eventually get to speaking real Japanese with, well, real Japanese! :P And if I screwed up, I could just pretend I'd had too much to drink. (One cup of sake is about all it takes and I'm loopy :p) Hopefully someone knows. :D I'm eager. Thanks for all the responses on my previous questions! Jesse

4 Answers May 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Big Island Bus System

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 25, 2004 at 7:04 PM

It looks very comprehensive, useful and affordable (who needs a car in such a beautiful place? an umbrella will do), but, frankly, I can't make much sense of the schedules and such I found. Let's say I wanted to make a trip from Hilo to Kona. Anyone wanna walk me through it? I think that's probably the most complicated trip the Big Island System could make, involving the most transfers.

2 Answers Oct 29, 2004 at 1:35 PM

can't fly directly into Hilo?

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 24, 2004 at 10:36 PM

Yet another post from me. It appears my local airline (Northwest, I believe?) flies into Honolulu but does NOT fly directly into Hilo. BUMMER. What could I do about that? Book yet another expensive flight from Honolulu to Hilo for the day I arrive in Honolulu? What if I'm late and miss the second flight? Take a bus/boats from Honolulu to Hilo? I don't know why they can't just fly directly into Hilo. Grr. Probably the hardest thing about Hawai'i is getting there! Not to mention coming home to see my family.

10 Answers Nov 2, 2006 at 2:45 PM