Hilo Travel Answers

change location

Working in Hilo

by stray123 Online Now Sep 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I'm thinking of taking a contract job in Hilo. From what I've read so far , I'm starting to re-think this. I'll be there at least 13 wks, alone. My question is , will I be safe? Are the residents as unfriendly as I've been reading? Will I be able to find an apt? Thank you for any input.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kellinwood's Profile Photo

Re: Working in Hilo

by kellinwood Online Now Sep 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Aloha,

The locals are not unfriendly. In my opinion the people in Hawaii are more friendly than in most places. Just relax and try not to have an attitude when dealing with others and you'll be fine. Its the rude and demanding tourists that the locals have a problem with.

Ken

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Working in Hilo

by stray123 Online Now Sep 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Thank You,for your response. I'm a travel nurse so I'm love meeting new people and exploring other cultures. Your comment has made all the difference! Aloha!

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Re: Working in Hilo

by triplehelix Online Now Feb 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM

hi there, kellinwood is correct. hilo residents are more dismissive of foreigners then the rest of the state's heavily populated areas. that just means if you say something rude or come off as arrogant you'll get treated in kind. generally most people are kind and personable. hilo really takes after asian culture more than our own north american. you'll find many culture shock moments i can guarantee! for one, we all remove our shoes before entering someone's home. that's a big thing in hawaii in general but more so in hilo. most of hilo's population are descendents of centuries ago sugarcane workers. we still have that workaday attitude lol.

a word of warning, if you're looking for nightlife it's almost non-existent unless you have friends who know places. i do not recommend going out on the town alone, it attracts negative attention (not necessarily dangerous, just annoying). if you're into hiking and outdoorsy things, there are lots to fill your 13 weeks on the big island. welcome! :) :)

• Re: Working in Hilo

by TNVolFan Online Now May 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM

13 week contract job...sounds like a travel nurse job assignment...right? Don't worry! You will be fine. The locals are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.
    I have worked as a travel nurse also and believe me when I tell you I was treated much nicer in HI than I was in Maine. There I was told to take my backside back across the Mason-Dixon Line. I am sure my accent had nothing to do with it. :)
    Due to my ex's 20+ Air Force career, I have traveled across the country, and as always I can tell you that YOUR attitude is the deciding factor in how you will be treated (with the exeception of being in Maine; and I just mark that up to just too much inbreeding).
    Relax and enjoy Paradise! You are being given an opporunity that most people only dream of. I was anxious when I moved there also but I miss it so much, and had it not been for my mother's declining health I would still be there.
    Sorry to ramble but just didn't want you to pass up an awesome chance because of misinformation.
    Aloha!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines