Hilo Travel Answers

change location

black sand beach and volcanoe in a day

by TatianaG Online Now Mar 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Hi,

I'm travelling to Hawaii by myself and I'll be flying into Hilo for 12 hours next Monday (3/15/10). I want to see a black-sand beach and a volcanoe. I'd rather not be herded along with an over-priced large tour group. Any suggestions on a good way to get around or what to see? I've heard sunset over the volcanoe is beautiful.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: black sand beach and volcanoe in a day

by xymmot Online Now Mar 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

rent a car and use a map to find your way out there. Remember the black sand is hot, hot , hot, wear sandals. The volcanoe is the opposite direction, so planning is important if you want to see the sunset. Last, ask the locals when you get there

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

rent a car and use a map to find your way out there. Remember the black sand is hot, hot , hot, wear sandals. The volcanoe is the opposite direction, so planning is important if you want to see the sunset. Last, ask the locals when you get there

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Mar 9, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Definitely rent a car and drive to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It's pretty easy to find things there. Timing will depend on how much hiking that you want to do. Punalu'u Beach (black sand beach) is further south, towards the southern end of the island). On thing to keep in mind is that the Big Island of Hawaii does not have any large highways, so driving from one point to another can sometimes take longer than you think. However, with 12 hours, you should have plenty of time to get to both places. Another nice thing to see near Hilo is Akaka Falls, one of the higher waterfalls in Hawaii. However, it is in the opposite direction (north) from the other two sights.

• Re: black sand beach and volcanoe in a day

by TatianaG Online Now Mar 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Thank you - sounds like a great itinerary!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines